Do I have enough power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patonb

Golden Master
Trying to figure out why I keep freezing,

I have a 520hx, 40A psu running a q6600 @3.2, 1.30V. Antec 900 case, 4 fans, Tuniq 120, 8800gt sc and an 8600gts ssc, and b2 500gig seagate HDs.

I'm folding at 75% cpu load.

While folding, it seems to freeze up randomly, I"ll go 7 days no issues than 3 days it'll freeze over night.

So is there enough power? I have both cards on the pci-e cables, with everything else on the 4-pin power things.

Oh, psu DMM'd to be good. all Vs at or just above spec.

It has been recommended before by some smart peeps around here to try memtest86. I am thinking it might be a RAM issue. First you would download the ISO, then burn it to CD. Here is the link, followed by the guide to burn the ISO with ImgBurn. I am posting this because it seems to help people with their RAM problems as far as diagnosis goes. Haven't personally tried it myself, yet. Good luck, and I hope it helps you should you try it out.

memtest86 download page

Burning ISO Images with ImgBurn - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

Trying to figure out why I keep freezing,

I have a 520hx, 40A psu running a q6600 @3.2, 1.30V. Antec 900 case, 4 fans, Tuniq 120, 8800gt sc and an 8600gts ssc, and b2 500gig seagate HDs.

I'm folding at 75% cpu load.

While folding, it seems to freeze up randomly, I"ll go 7 days no issues than 3 days it'll freeze over night.

So is there enough power? I have both cards on the pci-e cables, with everything else on the 4-pin power things.

Oh, psu DMM'd to be good. all Vs at or just above spec.

You could be looking at ESD damage, it would explain the sporadic issue nature. Please let me know what memtest showed you, if anything, thank you, hopefully your issue is resolved.

I ran memtest a while ago, and it passed. I'll try it again i guess.

It only happens when I fold, so I figure it'd be power draw or heat.

Cards never get above 77C and cpu is 49ish.

Computer Forums - Announcements in Forum : Tech-Forums Folding@Home

Folding @ Home. We have a section near the Introduction area about Folding and all the good stuff about it.

Took a look, reminds me sort of Seti@Home, but for a better cause perhaps :)

What do you mean "fold"? Thanks

As for this, I would say that it could be putting stress on your power supply.
Can you give me the current output (wattage) of your power supply, and then give me the consumption of your processor and graphics card (if these numbers (again, wattage) are readily available from some piece of software or the BIOS)

My recommendation (from experience) is to always run a power supply with some overhead, meaning don't buy a 300 watt power supply for a system that will run 300 watts at normal pace, the power supply will constantly be pushed to the limit and perhaps become unreliable (this advice comes from a professor of mine who made power supplies for many years, needless to say hes an electrical engineer). You should run with at least 100 watts (50 is fine, sort of) over what your computer needs, this will insure your power supply is most reliable (sometimes you get a lemon, but this should be a good solution) and not push it (less heat too).

Even better when you add some less consuming items like RAM or HDs it shouldn't cause a problem.

Let me know what you can scrounge up...

All the best

Dr. House (tertiaris)

I'm running a Corsair 520hx, with 3 12vs at 18Amps. Not sure if i can get the wattage, but I'll try.

I'm starting to wonder if its maybe I'm over stessing a rail? As doesn't the 8600 draw mainly through the pci-e slot?
It didn't really start till i started smp folding, using my quad hard, so maybe a hard smp and a 511 wu is stressing the one rail.

My rigs in my sig, as well as the second 8600gts ssc, with all cards are stock.

Well, it seems that your CPU is overclocked and that stress might be putting a draw on the power supply that it cant handle, but I cannot be sure from my end.

My suggestion is just to stay away from folding in that case. Thats all i got

Dr. House

NEVER......... FOLDING IS THE SH!Z!T.

Actually 80% of the use is folding, so, really the odd/random freeze is okay, i just loose production...

My Vc ore is 1.3, and my Vid is 1.25ish, so its not a huge oc.

Anyone know how the rails feed the psu? as in what connectors are on what rail of a 520hx?

THanks for replies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom