RJ 45 Splitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexluethar

Fully Optimized
Let me start off by saying I am no network guru, so please forgive my ignorance.

I have a port in our office that I would like to split, so that I can hook two computers up to one port. The port runs from the wall all the way to our back server room, where it goes into a splitter (I believe) which then routs all 10 or so of those into one cable that goes into our router, which then again goes into a server that provides our internet, phone, etc.

Woudl doing this make it to where two computers are trying to get two IP's from one port? Which I assume would cause an error.:freak:

It cause problems when having two systems logging online at the same time since they would be using the same IP address for the most part plus pulling down the bandwidth to a degree.

Dividing the bandwidth would be the larger concern there however. Here one of the lines for dsl service is split to go two separate ways to two separate rooms where sometimes one will lose sync with the dsl hub or simply take a bit longer just to reach the home page. You could run into this depending on the connection itself.

Grr I made a post and it didn't go thru... Anyways, as long as you have a switch going to a router then the router will assign each computer a different IP... And yes, it can cause bottle necks when using DSL/Cable internet connections, but it shouldn't affect it unless everyone is doing multimedia tasks online...

Or the router has auto separation built into it like you would see with a residential gateway type. For a direct Y type plug in that wouldn't necessarily be seen as two separate addresses however. One would have be isolated from the other is what charles scott is pointing at there using a switch between the two for routing purposes.

Thanks guys. I'm not worried about bandwidth as these computers will be sending very little information. I just wanted to make sure I didn't spend money on a switch realizing it was going to cause issues (since the IP the switch is getting is actually coming from another switch).

Really this is an issue of money and not bandwidth or free ports. We were going to purchase three wireless cards for these computers, but I thought if I could get a switch for say the same prices as one wireless card i could save around 80 bucks on the other two wireless cards.

Switches don't have IP addresses. Routers do. A switch is a cheap and easy way to expand a simple network. The link I posted is for a $13 switch.

Wireless setups also have a tendency to be a problem at times depending on distance. At least with hard wiring you won't be seeing any drop offs simply from distance or through a wall into a separate server area. That's another thing to consider as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom