My Laptop's HDD keeps getting corrupted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQWingz

Beta member
I recently bought a new Asus Laptop Asus - Laptop with Intel® Centrino® 2 Processor Technology - Black - G50Vt-X1

It runs everything on high settings (even crysis, in dx9 mode) without any stutter and is overall stable, aside from one thing that KEEPS happening. It always seems to happen whenever I install windows updates.(this is vista 64-bit btw)

I'll start the computer after i install the updates and it gives me a message similar to "windows failed to load because the kernel is missing or corrupt..." and I have to do a HDD wipe and install vista, all drivers etc (which all came with the recovery disk) and it works fine. This has happened about 5 times and I don't even mean for it to, because vista is sneaky and installs updates whenever i turn it off. It's ****ing me off...a LOT. All my saved games, etc keep disappearing because i have to fresh install every single time. Does anyone have any idea why this keeps happening?

IT sounds as if one of the updates is corrupting your install. In the settings for Windows Updates make sure you choose to have them download and install when you prompt them to. Or have it tell you when updates are available and you will install them when you want.

then go thru the updates 1 by 1 and install them till you find the culprit.

Sounds like that would work...but waste hours upon hours of my time. Unfortunately, it seems like my only option. thanks.

Well without knowing which update is causing the problem with the system there really is no other way for us to be able to determine what the fix is.

Sadly while this is very time consuming it seems to be the best course of action. At least when you find the update at fault we can work to fix it.

Also instead of a reinstall, have you tried to use a Restore Point? Before updates are applied a Restore Point is created if you have them on. So you should be able to roll back to before the updates were applied and be able to restore you system and not have to go thru the hassle of reinstalling and losing your game data and such.

Since it is Vista you can use the Vista DVD. One of the Startup Repair options is to use a Restore point.

Recovering the Vista Bootloader from the DVD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

In that Wiki (Yes i know it says recovering bootloader but it has pics that are easy to access for insite) you will see the 2nd picture down shows the option to use a Restore Point. That would be what you would use. If you dont have a Vista DVD cause of the manufacturer's not suppling it there is a download available thru that wiki as well. Well a link to a Recovery CD at least.

As soon as i fugure out how to get that ISO from the link to boot automatically when it's in the disk drive on powerup, I'll try using it.

My computer came with a recovery CD, but its not the vista installation CD. It installs vista and all the drivers but it cant use the repair utility.

You have to use a torrent download application to get it. Like µTorrent will do. Then just load up the torrent in that and download it. Then burn the ISO and got yourself a Recovery CD.

Thanks a lot!

Well this basically solves my problem but um, what would have caused this in the first place? Most of my friends gaming rigs use vista and are fully updated, no problem. Is the problem most likely coming from my end or from microsoft?

Could just be a conflict with the drivers for the hardware in your system. They might be trying to use the same IRQ or something that is causing conflicts. Without knowing the exact update it is all guess work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom