What monitor brands would you guys suggest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. Samsung monitors are top-notch. We used them in our office for a while. They are a bit pricier, but well worth the extra cost. The newer Dell monitors are surprisingly good quality as well and you can't go wrong with those.

If I get a monitor with HDMI, but use the DVI, is it expected that it'll still have decent contrast ratio?

When looking through the different brands and models the general specifications will show how good the contrast ratio is on any particular model. The Asus 22" amd 24" models looked good but were lacking when compared to the 22" Viewsonic model seen at the link posted earlier.

That saw the HDMI option as well as a much higher contrast ratio for a 22" screen size over the 24" Asus you had picked out for slightly less pricewise.

What contrast ratio is a good one to aim for, exactly?

p.s. - the Viewsonic and the ASUS both have (20000:1) and 1000:1 contrast ratios..... How are they different?

I think the way this is expressed will sum things up quite well on this since often I hear that one monitor is simply better then another simply by looking at that alone. After a certain point however it generally wouldn't make any real difference.

"Contrast Ratio for Televisions & Monitors
Contrast Ratio is a specification given with most good televisions and monitors. It refers to the device's ability to reproduce different levels of brightness.

A higher contrast ratio is more desirable — 500:1 is quite good.

Unfortunately the contrast ratio specification given by TV manufacturers has become somewhat abused. There is a limit beyond which this specification loses significance, as further improvements aren't noticeable in the real world. Do not be too concerned with figures higher than 2000:1, and figures over 10,000:1 don't have much relevance at all." Contrast Ratio for Televisions and Monitors

Lenovo - I have the L222 and it's one of the sexiest monitors on the market. Oh, it's display is pretty nice too.

I saw that. But I'm kinda shooting for 1080p while I'm at it.

That was one thing I was looking at when posting the link for the 22" Viewsonic model earlier while comparing specs. I figured you might want to see that as well.

I went with a Dell.

A week ago I walked in Staples and was drooling over this display computer. The monitor is a Dell 24" 1080 S2409W. The regular price is 350. I walked away from it.

Tonight I was out Christmas shopping and ran in to grab something. I saw the monitor and it was on sale for 279. I snatched that sucker up like whoa.

Dell S2409W 24-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor

While we've got some LCD talk here, I did some googling in terms of how long LCDs last, and it's a common concensus that LCDs last for maaaaaaaany years, and that it's the backlight that'll be the typical culprit for them "fading" over time. Question is - how long do backlights normally last before they take on a substantial dim?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom