New build, 4 pin CPU power to 8 pin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shafra

In Runtime
Doing a build for a friends PC that recently died, using this motherboard.
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP43-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Using this Hiper 580W power supply which only has a 4 pin CPU connector for the mainboard.
EXTREME Overclocking - Hiper Type-R 580W Modular Power Supply Review - Page: 2 - Tweaking PC Hardware To The Max

Can I use the 4 pin connector and be fine? Or will I need an adapter? Also, if I need an adapter and anyone can link a decent one from NewEgg?

Thanks for any help!

Other then the fact it has one PCI-Express slot. Yes, it is a pretty decent motherboard.

It has two things going for it, its P5Q, and the fact that its from Asus.

I would go for my reccomendation over the asus as its supposedly more reliable gets better overclocks and has more functionality; more sata ports, more connection ports and a better onboard audio chipset. Why is it better then your original board well its the upgrade chipset the p45 + comes with extra features its an abslute bargain. If its dual core then its 65W usually and you only need a 4pin plug, the 8 pin is to provide a more stable power transfer for the usually higher wattage quads. You will also need an aftermarket cpu cooler like the sunbeam core contact freezer or tuniq tower (if it will fit).

The upgrade to your cpu isthe E7300 then the E8400 they do increase performance but if that stretches your budget a bit out of your comfort zone dw they don't increase performance enough to warrant going out of house and home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom