How can I make this Gaming RiG better than it is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should look into the Q9550, it's not that much more and it's way faster. This combo deal: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! would allow you to save $20 if you paired it with a GA-EP45-UD3P mobo, which is one of the best motherboards out there. If you think it's too much, the Q6600 is still a good choice though.

Also you could make up a lot of the cost by switching to a radeon HD 4870 (This one: Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards is only $170 after MIR). On that resolution you wouldn't notice much of a difference between the two cards. If you're worried about that though you could get the 1GB version of the HD 4870 and then you'd still have the option of using crossfire if you decided to get a new monitor later, or simply because games are continuously becoming more complex. With the nvidia card you would have to upgrade the motherboard too if you wanted to use SLI.

The case is great of course, though you might want to look into buying somewhere other than newegg as that price really isn't that great (It was $60 during the black friday sales).

I'd probably go with this PSU: Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies which is 610W and is just as high-quality as the one you've selected. It's also cheaper (after MIR). In fact, you might even want to look into getting a 750TX (Newegg.com - Suggested Products you take my advice regarding the HD 4870 and want to have the potential to upgrade to Crossfire (or go the nVidia route and think you may want to upgrade to SLI). There's a promo code that I think still works that would allow you to get it for $90.

Also you didn't list them in this thread but in the wish list you posted there's a 250GB hard drive and a $20 DVD-ROM. I'd replace the 250GB HD with a 640GB Western Digital (Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives) for only $15 more and free shipping; it's a fast drive and it would hold over twice as much (obviously). And you should definitely get a DVD-Burner instead of a DVD-ROM. You could get a good SATA 22x one like this one: Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - CD / DVD Burners is $26 with free shipping.

yeh
E8500 - better gaming (high clocks)
q6600 - better multitasking (more cores)

although it's going to take alot of multitasking to make the q6600 really load better than the E8500 in everyday stuff

the black edition is one of nvidia's sickest card's out,xFx is a great company and you even get cool bonus' for buying the Black edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom