New Graphics Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

trekkie00

In Runtime
So, I was checking out the whole CUDA software deal with the newer nVidia cards, and I saw that there was a MATLAB addon for it. Because I've heard we might be using MATLAB for schooling, I figured it might be worthwhile to update to one of the compatible cards. Plus, it'd be a few more PPD for Folding.

Of course, this wouldn't be for gaming at all...[/sarcasm]

Current Specs:
Athlon X2 4000+ (stock, but can overclock to ~2.6ghz easily)
2gb RAM
XFX GeForce 7600GT

I was looking at a few different 9800GTs and a 8800GTS that was on sale from Newegg.com, and wasn't sure how they would compare.
MSI 8800GTS 320mb for $90
EVGA 9800GT (two slot cooling) for $95 after rebate
EVGA 9800GT (single slot cooling) for $110 after rebate
XFX 9800GT for $110 after rebate + Call of Duty 4
MSI 9800GT for $105 after rebate, factory OC to 700mhz

The two that seemed most appealing were the XFX with the game and the overclocked MSI card, but 100mhz seems like something I can most likely do myself. Alternatively, since the computer probably will be running 24/7 or as near as Windows lets me, should I go with the two-slot cooling EVGA?

I'd consider going to a GTX or GTX+ if there would be a very large performance increase, but it's not likely - I have a miserable power supply that might not even handle this.

They all look pretty similar to me. So many choices...

I have the EVGA 9800 GTX+ and was told it way out performs the GT but I can't tell you that for sure. It is supposed to be close to the ATI 4850 and it handles most games maxed with AA on without a problem. But yea, I think the power might be an issue.

Dauntae

the 9800gtx+ does outperform the 9800gt. a 9800gtx+ is roughly as good a 4850, its a pity you really need cuda coz u could have gotten a 4830 which is very good for the price. the 9800gtx+ is significantly better then the 9800gt (9800gt=8800gt with 3x sli) so whether you want to spend the extra to get it is up to you ($150). otherwise get the dual slot evga 9800gt at $95. i suggested u find out exactly whether or not ull be using it so then u can get a 4830 if you not going to be. Newegg.com - HIS Hightech H483FN512P Radeon HD 4830 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

a 4830 overclocked a bit is better then a 4850 in most cases and is a great buy!

Of course noone ever said you couldn't overclock the 4850, which if you looks around @ newegg could only be maybe $10 ~$15 more than the 4830 which is beyond worth it imo

I just double-checked my power supply, and it doesn't have any PCIe power connectors - I'll have to use the molex adaptor. Unfortunately, a new power supply isn't really something I can get, so it looks like I'm stuck with a 9800GT.
It's an Antec, but a pretty cheap one, so I'm fairly sure it will work.

Plus, I'm a bit of a nVidia/Linux fanboy. From what I've heard (and seen with my lousy integrated card in my old laptop) ATI and Linux aren't exactly the friendliest, and I want the option to use Linux with all the eye candy.

I'm kinda leaning towards the XFX because of the included game, but would the dual slot cooler on the EVGA make that much difference?

I've heard the only difference between the GT and the GTX is the number of stream processors. I saw a "special" GT card that had all the stream processors unlocked, I forget what it was. I was thinking of getting a GTX if I got a PC capable of it but I think I'll wait and get a Core i7 with a GTX260 or 280 whenever they get cheaper.

I have also been thinking about the 48xx series, I've been reading that they do support Linux, though I don't know if I trust them enough to believe it, after living for 2 years without graphics because Linux didn't support my Radeon X1600pro. It seems the 48xx have the best price/graphics performance though, just no CUDA. As of Ubuntu 8.10, ATi is finally supported, though there are still some minor flaws. Firefox scrolling is slow if you have Compiz enabled with an ATi card, so I don't know about ATi.

Haven't used MATLAB before so I don't know, I've heard people talking about it but not sure what it does.

Personally I hate dual-slot coolers...they block off slots, and with your motherboard being microATX rather than full ATX, you probably will end up with no slots left if you get a dual-slot cooler.

That card was the Asus EN9800GT Ultimate, which is unfortunately not on Newegg any more. If it was, I wouldn't be here asking for alternatives :p.

Plus, PHYSX acceleration just sounds too cool to pass up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom