I want to buy RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

clark33

In Runtime
Hi -

I want to buy extra RAM for my PC, as the more RAM you have - the better performance you get. The problem is, I haven't ever bought RAM before and i am not sure if i have to get a certain type that is compatable to my PC.

My maximum capacity is 2048MB (2 Gigs). I currently have 2 512 MBs (giving me a Gig), in 2 seperate slots. So, I am assuming there must be another 2 empty slots, to support the max capacity. The types are both DDR2.

Does this mean I can go out and buy any DDR2 RAM and slot it into place?

What motherboard do you have? It is best but not necessary to match the speeds but with how low prices are right now it might be best to get 2x1gb and toss the other two.

Really, are the prices that low!

My motherboard is a:-

ASUS P5G-MX. Ive also found out I only have 2 memory slots, so that means - I'd have to swap rather than add!

So, can i buy DDR2. I have an Intel Core Duo 2Cpu at 2.40Mhz - if that helps.

Thanks for the replys:-

Hefemeister - your information is very valuable to me, i'll have a look around the web for a decent supplier. Merry Christmas to Sweden.

Saltynay - Yes, this is exactly what im looking for. I cant believe i can get a 2 gig piece of RAM for around £25. That would mean i would have 2.5 gigs, assuming i replace one of my 512s with a 2gb.!!!

Im using 2 512mb bits in each slot:

DDR2 (PC2-5300)
333MHz (DDR2 667)
Supported frequencies 200mhz, 266mhz, 333mhz (my CPU is 6600 at 2.40 Ghz - so im not sure how this relates to the supported frequencies?).

That means your cpu frequency is at 266mhz. And since your processor, a E6600, has a multiplier of 9. Then that equals to 2.4Ghz.
(266 x 9 = 2394)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom