Should I or shouldn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was looking in the original replies; would the ASUS EAH4870 DK TOP/HTDI/512MD5 Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail be worth an extra $70 or not so much a difference on performance? ($170 for the 4850 vs $240 for this 4870... both have the $30 mail in rebate). Thanks!

The 4870 will be better, but with that rig I would get the 4850. The 4850 is a great card.

4850 is a great card, go for whatever you can afford, both will serve you very well. I would also go for a 4850 in that situation.

Okay, thanks guys. Made my order and it should be here by Wednesday. Are there any guides I should be reading up on for doing the upgrade having never upgraded or installed a motherboard or CPU before? What about my case, will any case work? If so, I have an older machine from like 2002 that was massive in size and it would be great if I could use it since it hasn't been used much in a while.

So do you think an older (big) case will work; or will I need to buy a new case? Thanks

Okay, I'm stuck. I tried putting everything into my old case which has a big room for moving my hands around in it. With the Silence 410 ATX PSU I can't figure out how to get the power connector onto the board. There seems to be a 4 pin connector and a 20; on the MB there is a place for an 8 and a 24. ???????? The instructions are no help that came with it, can anyone explain to me how to get the PSU connected or point me to a guide that can help? Thanks!

should clip together like so
17-182-001-13.JPG

the 4/8 pin is for the cpu and seperate to the above cable should be just to the back of the backplate connections where it plugs in

Hi everybody... Merry Christmas! (only one day late)

I was trying to work on the assembly again today, and everything seemed to be put together fine. But it crashes as soon as it tries to read the HD. There is a blue screen with a short paragraph for about 1/10th of a second, and then reboots automatically. The HD worked in the older computer, was Windows XP based, 120GB, regular connector to the MB (not the sata ports ones). When I look in the bios, I tried turning off error checking, and looking at boot order and stuff, it is listed as Master 4 (1-3 give me no options to manually select it). The blue screen goes by to fast to read anything (tried pause screen with no success, just reboots). Do I have to have the HD be a sata drive to make it work? Any ideas or suggestions? I am pretty much stuck here.. TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom