Stuck Thermal Sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

patonb

Golden Master
My new Acer laptop seems to have stuck temp sensors in every temp program.. CoreTemp, speedfan, and Everest.

Any tricks to getting unstuck?
Can this mess up my cpu by overheating?

what do you mean by stuck?

As in that all programs read the same temp?

Have you tried altering the power managment programs/software?

Does the laptop include a hardware monitor in the bios setup? That will report the actual cpu temps directly from the board's sensors there. With more then one program reporting high temps that doesn't sound to heailth for the cpu however.

Sometimes even the BIOS will misreport what the sensor sees while software can report what is there.... But really you can't fix the sensor other than finding the probe and replacing it, or if its the sensor chip replacing that... soo.... Have fun

The readings from the bios are usually more accurate since softwares tend to give off false temps at times. The question to ask here however is what temps are being seen with the various programs?

I usually get the best readings from the BIOS. BIOS included utilities also tend to be a good place to get information. PC Wizard is usually pretty good at it too, though on my Sempron it somehow gets two very different CPU temps (one from the CPU diode and one apparently from the motherboard, with the diode being like 10C cooler). The BIOS apparently reads the CPU diode one because that's the temp range it usually shows.

Well, stuck as it'll read 41/45 no matter what prog i use.... And yes, the stepping fluctuates..

Oddly it did sense right when i first ran coretemp when i bought it.

Are you running the stock hsf? That's sounds about what a stock cooler will see while a good 3rd party cooler plus some good air flow in the case will see that drop a good 10C or better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom