NIC card issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

In Runtime
I put a new NIC card in one of my PCs. When I hooked it up to my network I can no longer get to the internet, I noticed there is a yellow "!" on my adapter in device manager. I tried re-installing the drivers but same results.

I tried resetting my router, modem but that still didnt help. Any ideas what is causing this? I am getting a message of can't connect to my DCHP server".

Tried new cable. same result. tried static ip with these settings

for ip i used 192.168.15.108

snm 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.15.1

dns 192.168.15.100

if those settings are correct. still no internet connection.

router is linksys. What else could it be? PC is set up for dhcp is enabled as well.

thx

If there's a yellow ! on the device manager it means that the drivers aren't working. First, try reinstalling them. You said you did this, and it still doesn't work. Try finding different drivers for the card.

What card is it?
What OS are you using?

The reason changing cable/ip/router didn't fix it is, if there's the yellow ! it means the computer doesn't recognize the card, so no matter what you try doing to the card, the computer won't see a thing you're doing because it doesn't know what the card is or what the card is trying to tell the PC. This is what a driver does.

If you have a 64 bit OS, there may not be a driver for your card (see my rant on this in the Windows 7 PreBeta thread). In such case, you either A) put in a different card or B) switch to a 32 bit OS that supports your card. If you have a different card (a different model, preferably newer, I have 5 Netgear FA311v1's but switching one for another isn't going to fix driver issues).

If there's still a yellow exclamation mark, that means the device has a problem. What does it say for an error code/status? Have you gotten the most recent drivers from the website? Have you tried to see if Windows Update will find them for you?

the card itself is a linksys lne100tx version 5.1. Tried the latest from the net. Same results.

OS is XP pro. Anything else needed to help me?

Edit: sorry about the double post. I put that there cause it was a different question about software.

Is there any free s/w that I can use to check if it is the card having an issue or if it is my system board? If so, what is the name of the s/w?

thanks

the card itself is a linksys lne100tx version 5.1. Tried the latest from the net. Same results.

OS is XP pro. Anything else needed to help me?

Edit: sorry about the double post. I put that there cause it was a different question about software.

Is there any free s/w that I can use to check if it is the card having an issue or if it is my system board? If so, what is the name of the s/w?

thanks

PS... by putting in XP cd and doing a system restore would that have fixed my issue connecting to the internet? Please let me know. or just re-installing the OS?

Did you look to see if windows update would find the driver? Tried a different card? They're pretty cheap nowadays for a NIC card, so you could pick one up easily (or even take one out of another computer if you can) and pop it in place of the other one.

Thanks for responding carnageX, I appreciate your help a lot. These are the things I have tried. I tried switching out the cable for a new one, I tried putting the cable from my computer from my PC to the modem directly and no go. I reset both my modem and router waiting minute or 2 in between. I tried a new card. I had linksys on the phone trying multiple things like disabling my NIC card, doing a repair, install drivers from their site over internet. I tried pinging my router to no avail.

I am at a loss. That is why I am wondering if I put in my XP cd and try and do a system restore? I don't know if that comes set up to run by default or is that something I manually would of had to of done because I didn't. If so, would re-installing the OS do the trick? I just did an image copy of my OS this past sunday with Acronis true image 2009. Should I try that? what do you think?

Again, thanks for your help.

It may work. If that doesn't work, and a different card doesn't work, then it could be your board. Tried in a different PCI slot as well?

Lne100tx, sounds familiar. Pretty sure I have one of those in my closet :)

Here's the driver for WinXP:
Linksys.com - Support/Technical Support/Choose a Product/Network Adapters/Wired Adapters/LNE100TX/Downloads
If the XP drivers don't work, try the Windows 2000 ones. Windows XP has a similar enough kernel for many Windows 2000 drivers to work, and it may be different enough to make a difference.

Try that driver, says it's XP compatible (you're using a 32 bit XP right?). I'll try mine this week (I go home tomorrow, I'll try it then because I may need something other then the Netgear I have now). I don't think I ever used mine in XP (bought it for a Windows 98 PC, the PC died and I just threw the card in my closet with the rest of my Netgears).

Should probably load my desktop up with them, I have a D-Link card too, may be good test material for newer OS'es.

It may work. If that doesn't work, and a different card doesn't work, then it could be your board. Tried in a different PCI slot as well?

Never thought of a different PCI slot. Does XP Pro come with system restore turned on when OS is installed? Think Acronis image restore would work?

Lne100tx, sounds familiar. Pretty sure I have one of those in my closet :)

Here's the driver for WinXP:
Linksys.com - Support/Technical Support/Choose a Product/Network Adapters/Wired Adapters/LNE100TX/Downloads
If the XP drivers don't work, try the Windows 2000 ones. Windows XP has a similar enough kernel for many Windows 2000 drivers to work, and it may be different enough to make a difference.

Try that driver, says it's XP compatible (you're using a 32 bit XP right?). I'll try mine this week (I go home tomorrow, I'll try it then because I may need something other then the Netgear I have now). I don't think I ever used mine in XP (bought it for a Windows 98 PC, the PC died and I just threw the card in my closet with the rest of my Netgears).

Should probably load my desktop up with them, I have a D-Link card too, may be good test material for newer OS'es.

XP is 32bit yes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom