what to do with extra hdd's

Status
Not open for further replies.

v8killaz

In Runtime
I have a bunch of ide hdd's and want to install 2 of them in my computer for more space.

I have a 250gig sata drive in my case right now that i use

can i put 2 more ide drives and use them as spare space. And what do i set the jumpers too

my ide cable has 3 female connectors. one to board and 2 for the extra drives.

Can just either set one to Master/the other to Slave, or just put 'em both to Cable Select (I've never had a problem with this).

Are you running a sata optical drive? If you are then the single ide channel seen on most boards at this time can be used for two ide HDs without any problem. Most however at this point are simply adding in a larger capacity drive(sata or some larger ide) in order to use as a storage/backup device.

The end connector is typically set to master while the middle is set as slave unless for some reason the drive isn't seen while booted in Windows. Then you set that to cable select. Many boards like those seen in an HP or Dell will see all ide if more then one set to cable select there.

In fact lately I tossed an old ide drive back in to see that used as a dedicated Linux drive for trying out various distros and different multiboot configurations. Make sure your case has good air flow however when adding in the extra drives.

thx for the info guys
i forgot all about the heat the drives would generate

hey guys
i dont want to use these hdd's as my main one like i said i have a 250 gig sata drive i use for everything, just want to save bigger games and videos on it.

and yes i have another sata connector for my dvd drive

thx for the info guys
i forgot all about the heat the drives would generate

hey guys
i dont want to use these hdd's as my main one like i said i have a 250 gig sata drive i use for everything, just want to save bigger games and videos on it.

and yes i have another sata connector for my dvd drive

You're welcome.

And Ok? What's the problem with what we suggested? Just make sure your primary drive is set to boot first, format the other ones so you can just use them as data drives, and you're set.

As long as you won't be sacrificing an ide optical drive already having a sata model in that won't be any problem. Eventually I'll dump the ide cd burner here already having a sata dvd burner in already.

With the extra drives in however you will tend to restrict some air flow inside the case especially if you use a flat ribbon type cable. Many would simply go for a larger sata drive or add on an external model for seeing a bit more storage available.

In fact someone lately was seeing 5 external usb drives in use on one system! Here I would have simply grabbed a single 2tb eSata external drive and called it a day. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom