Problems booting/logging in

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackhydra866

Baseband Member
Hello, i've recently come across some problems with our family computer.

This is for Windows XP.

After clicking a name to logon it will take about a whole minute to finally finish "Loading your personal settings..." then after that it will show my wallpaper for a second then a I get a popup saying that Windows Explorer had to be closed.

Now at the top of this window it says "Data Execution Prevention" and on the bottom it has a little bit of info about what Data Execution Prevention is. So i'm pretty sure it has to do with that.

After that I click "Close Message" then I skip the error report screen, then it just shows my wallpaper and nothing happens.

I also tried going into Task Manager and starting a new explorer.exe process but it keeps refusing to do that.

Have you tried booting in safe mode? If you CAN boot into safe mode, check the event viewer. See if you can find a failure at the time of the error when you normally try to start xp.

Source - Service Control Manager
Numbers - 7024, 7000, 7023

Could simply disabling DEP work?

And how do I do that?

Disabling DEP would have to be dont from the desktop. Since you cant login there is no way to disable. Not to mention that disabling it can cause some Windows applications to not work properly cause they rely on DEP.

Try a Restore Point or a Repair install.

Now when I hit the power button the LEDs on the front of the case all light up and stay lit, and I can hear the fans blowing, and nothing comes up on my monitor. It doesn't even give a signal that its connected. It just stays like that and nothing else happens.

If you get lights, fans, but no beeps, hdd noises, screen-signals, it usually means the cpu is fried, that or the psu. At least partially fried anyway. If you've got spare equipment, try swapping in a new psu first, then if that doesn't work try a different cpu. If you don't have any spare, see if you can borrow stuff off a mate or work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom