Screen freezes into colored pattern multiple times a day ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the information I have with me right now ...

AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor, 4200+ 2.20 GHz, 1.93GB RAM Memory 2048MB

I will have to check the mfg of the motherboard when I get home. I can't figure out how to insert an image here. I'm not allowed to attach any files apparently and the only way I see to insert an image is through a URL. Don't have any pics at an URL ... but I will try to figure that one out tonight.

I ran the memtest for a while. Not sure how many hours but I was running two at once (one at 722 and one for all free memory). They both were up to 348% with no errors detected at that point. Then the screen froze. It had to be at least an hour, if not more, that they were running though.

Here is a shot of what the screen looks like and I will post the other screen shot you requested later...

47b8cc36b3127cce98548a74821300000046100IasWLdo2aMg

that could be the graphics card, can you test it on another computer?
it looks a little severe, though to have happened all at once. i am leaning more toward mobo at this point, although i would say it is a toss-up 50-50 as to mobo of gfx. have you taken the card out and re-seated it?

No I haven't touched the graphics card yet. Just played around with the memory sticks. I will try the card (re-seating) it tonight and see if that does anything.

Is there a way to test the MOBO for non-tech people like me? I am trying to avoid taking the computer to a box store (best buy, etc...) and paying a lot of $$, along with losing the computer for days ...

Will update you on the graphics card project after I try it. By the way, thanks for your time on this!

no problem, thats what we do here.
as far as testing the mobo....ummmm well not really. buy another one to go in it, if that doesnt work you can return the mobo. just make sure you buy one you can return obviously.
yeah definitely try re-seating the card and see if that has any effect. it probably wont, but it is worth a shot.

Best thing would be to try another graphics card before u go taking the motherboard out, Just borrow a graphics card out of a friends or relatives computer. someone has to have an old one laying around. Dont bother installing the driver for it.. just let it boot up and run it for a while. That error is usually a graphics card failure. tho they normally do that before screen shot and dont ever boot again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom