XP & 98 Outlook Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

philb101

In Runtime
I have a client who has moved from a 98 PC to a new XP Pro PC & is using Outlook Express for his mail
He wants the messages etc from his 98 disk (which is still intact) onto his XP disk
I have found the .dbx files etc on the 98 disk but cannot find where to put them in XP, his Storage Folder cannot be found even using the search facility

Thanks for any help

.dbx files in Windows XP are marked as hidden by default. To view these files in Explorer, you must enable Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start | Control Panel | Folder Options | View. Not sure exactly how that could help, maybe that would make those files show up when you search for them? For more on where messages are stored in Windows XP go here..

http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/wab.htm

I guess once you have the files from Outlook Express on Win98, you could use the import wizard in Outlook Express on XP to import the messages.

my dbxs on my xp pc are located in C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{EED02091-47AD-4EDD-A0AA-0B2D9D1B9B0F}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

i also found this about moving OE from 98 to xp at http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?p=1815741

First thing is to find your old emails. Do a search for files entitled *.dbx. These files are hidden so remember to tick search hidden files in the advanced options. If you were using Outlook Express 4, the folders will be split across to files .mbx and (i think) .obx, so do a search for *.mbx.
Once you've found them you will probably find 2 different versions of several folders, such as inbox.dbx, after all OE has created a new set of these files. You should be able to work out which are the ones you're after by looking at the file size. Once you've found you're old folders, write down the file location.
Now open Outlook Express and go to file-import-messages, and select the version of OE you were running on 98. select "import for store directory" and then browse to the location you found you files in, click next and your're messages should be back.

Thanks for that
Would you know if I put the Win98 disk in the XP machine as a slave, is there an option toin the Transfer files & settings to pull it down from another drive in the XP PC

philb101 said:
Thanks for that
Would you know if I put the Win98 disk in the XP machine as a slave, is there an option toin the Transfer files & settings to pull it down from another drive in the XP PC

Just use file-import/export wizard and hit browse and go to that slave drive

Should of had him export his Outlook stuff to file before upgrading, then he could have just easily imported all his stuff back.

Believe it or not, but Microsoft makes it very easy to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom