Klipsch 2.1 or other 5.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

koomba

Baseband Member
Im looking to get a new pair of speakers, something in the $150 dollar range. The two sets im deciding between are the Klipsch Promedia 2.1, and the Altec-Lansing AD995 5.1. Both sets are THX certified, so im not too worried about the quality, thou ive never heard the AD995's, since they dont seem to be avaliable in any stores. My question is, has anyone heard the AD995's? I want something with a little power, and each system is 200 watts RMS, but the klipsch is only 2.1, where as the altec is 5.1. Obviously, the klipsch's are going to be more powerful per part, but I dont know if thats worth it over the 5.1s. Any suggestions? Thanks.

You know, 5.1 speakers are nice cause u got sound all around, but they are really not necessary unless you are really into gaming. I think you would be good with the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1.

Well, my main use will be gaming, and 5.1 would be nice with new games coming out in the next few months like doom iii and unreal2. Anyone heard the ada995's?

altec lansings tend to have strong low and high frequency outputs. the midrange definitely leaves something to be desired. But a 5.1 system is a 5.1 system. It's better than nothing.

I can tell you this though...I just got my klipsch promedia 5.1s...worth every single penny.

Another factor is whether or not you have a decent place for the extra 3 speakers if you end up getting the 5.1 system. In my computer room, the only place I could put the rear two speakers was on my ceiling, which became a pain with the cables. Although, I have to say, the surround sound definately brings the gaming experience to a new level. So, if you have the space, I say go with the Altec Lansing 5.1 system.

Another use for surround, is watching DVDs or listening to music. Then again, if you really want truly decent sounding music, you can't be using computer speakers. Use true hi-fi. But as said, just get the 5.1 ones for gaming, if that's going to be your main use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom