The right power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd recommend not cheaping out on your PSU, bad thing happen when you do..

(like fried parts)

Oh I meant the original PSU in his post.. but ya, that Rosewill is fine.. cutting it close though..

Would that rosewill really be close? I've only got a DVD drive, 7200 RPM HD and an HD4870 in there and that supply has 2 +12V rails at 18 A each. Would going to 600W help?

Newegg.com - Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL-S 600W ATX12V v2.01 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Power Supply - Power Supplies

Also, recommendations on any other parts (particularly motherboards) are appreciated

A basic single gfx card gaming rig doesn't need a 600 watt PSU!

I will be ordering the same parts you listed with the Rosewill PSU I posted. It has enough power for the rig I'M building and it has 241 excellent reviews on newegg.

Here is a PSU calculator, everyone should bookmark it! eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5

The rig I'm building only needs 446 watts and that's at %100 power usage with %30 capacitor aging. Make sure you calculate for hardware you might want to add in the future.

A basic single gfx card gaming rig doesn't need a 600 watt PSU!

I will be ordering the same parts you listed with the Rosewill PSU I posted. It has enough power for the rig I'M building and it has 241 excellent reviews on newegg.

Here is a PSU calculator, everyone should bookmark it! eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5

The rig I'm building only needs 446 watts and that's at %100 power usage with %30 capacitor aging. Make sure you calculate for hardware you might want to add in the future.

LOL!!

It even states on that calculator website that: 'The recommended total Power Supply Wattage gives you a general idea on what to look for BUT it is NOT a crucial factor in power supply selection! Total Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important, followed by the +5V amperage and then the +3.3V amperage. ' And your relying on newegg reviews.

You have to realise that this is true, and that you have to be aware of where all the watts from a PSU are going. If most of the watts are going to the 5v and 3.3v then you will be stuffed when trying to add a big graphics card that runs of the 12v rails.

While i agree that you dont need a 600w psu for a single card in the most part, it depends alot more on the brand of psu (ie. a cheapo brand may supply alot less to the 12v rails than a good brand psu of the same wattage.)

Just be aware, there is alot more to it than simply how many watts a psu is rated at.

LOL!!

It even states on that calculator website that: 'The recommended total Power Supply Wattage gives you a general idea on what to look for BUT it is NOT a crucial factor in power supply selection! Total Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important, followed by the +5V amperage and then the +3.3V amperage. ' And your relying on newegg reviews.

Why is that funny? It gives you a ballpark figure of what you should be looking at.

How do YOU calculate the watts for your build? Do you just pull some figures out of thin air or draw straws?

You have to realise that this is true, and that you have to be aware of where all the watts from a PSU are going. If most of the watts are going to the 5v and 3.3v then you will be stuffed when trying to add a big graphics card that runs of the 12v rails.

While i agree that you dont need a 600w psu for a single card in the most part, it depends alot more on the brand of psu (ie. a cheapo brand may supply alot less to the 12v rails than a good brand psu of the same wattage.)

Just be aware, there is alot more to it than simply how many watts a psu is rated at.

Ya, I thought that was common knowledge around here.

All I am suggesting is that the rosewill 550 watt will run that rig just fine and just because you drop $100-200 on a PSU doesn't mean it will outlast a $50-80 PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom