video card upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesspren6

In Runtime
I want to upgrade my video card on my p4b533 asus mobo. It is currently a geforce 5200 and im thinking of getting a 6600gt. It says that my motherboard supports a max of 4x, but it says it is agp version 3.0? Isnt agp 3.0 8x max?

Why do you want to update your videocard?Your pc is fairly ancient by todays standards so personally I would think if your planning to game on it you need to start a fresh rather then spending money to keep a burning ship afloat.

I dont want it for gaming, i have a 360 for that and im building a 2000 dollar pc in the spring so i just want some so i can watch some good quality movies and stuff on my 1080p monitor

well it all depends on your present budget, how much are you planning to spend on a video card? maybe we can help you with a decent or semi-decent upgrade

The 5200 can play standard films however if you want to decode hd films like blu-ray discs you need to look into the 8 series or beyond which isn't possible via agp as those cards aren't supported. If your building a computer in the spring come back to us then the computer world changes fast and a build I reccomend now may be radically different by march. Also $2000 is excessive for a standard media centre build I would say $400 would be enough for core components +$200 for case/psu/soundcard.

Well when I build in the spring it's not just going to be a media center, im am going to use it for a lot of gaming too. I bought a ati 9550xl agp card off ebay for 30 bucks in which it will be good enough for now cause I can run dual monitors and use a different resolution for each monitor since one is a 15" and the other is a 21.5" widescreen 1080p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom