chipset cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

crward

In Runtime
i have an abit is7-e mobo and the north bridge fan has started failing (sometimes works, other times it runs slow or stops), so i bought a zalman ZM-NB47J heat sink ( http://www.thecoolingshop.com/product_info.php/cPath/3/products_id/696 ) the problem is it won't fit as the mobo doesn't have retention holes but has brackets.
basic diagram... NB heatsing+fan --------~n
the 'arms' clip under the bracket (arms = ------, clip = ~ bracket = n. at work atm so the best i can do ;) )
my question is.. would it safe to mount this using zip ties/tie wraps to fasten the heat sink 'arms' to the mobo brackets?

I don't see why it wouldn't work. you should try it. I fit doesn't work you can just cut the ties and pull it off. Just wondering, Did you or will you put thermal paste on the nb/hs?

for the north bridge it usually comes with thermal adhesive I believe...a little bit different...but yeah as long as the zip ties are nice and tight and equally tight at that it should work...just don't use twisty-ties cause they got the metal wire in them =P.

EDIT: BTW how'd you pull your NB old heatsink off cause mine on my old board was stuck on like a ***** so I figure'd it'd probably be the same on this board when I go to switch it out.

i've already looked into removing it. it's suggeted (can't remrember with site) to use a hai dryer untill the heat sink is uncomfertable to touch, then use a plastic card so you don't damage the board, and use a flat headed screw driver to pri it off (slowly turning the screw driver). about to remove it so will you all know the result! (crosses fingers)

You can use a blow dryer. But do not hold it directly over the fan as it could get too hot. Keep it under 60 C. Slowly twist the fan after removing the retention frame, and it should come off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom