HARDCORE COMPUTER'S "REACTOR" project

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol... no one's gonna be changing the laws of physics anytime soon... but you actually could use ln2 24/7, it would just require a 5 stage cascade or a hullava lot of nitrogen and a wickedly engineered setup

What are you talking about?

A cascade setup does not use any LN2 at all.

What are you talking about?

A cascade setup does not use any LN2 at all.

i meant, hypothetically, if you build a 5 stage cascade (eg R507->R1150->R14->methane->nitrogen) you could actually condense nitrogen and bring a block down to 77.3K with it... you'd need a wicked flow rate on the last stage to keep that temp tho, because the latent heat of nitrogen is extremely low

of course it can be done (that's how we first liquefied hydrogen and helium, and is still used a a precursor to laser cooling), but there would be several problems...

first of all, achieving a flow rate in excess of 400L/s across an area no larger than a CPU would require a whole new evaporator design optimised for high flow... secondly, oil separation becomes complicated at temperatures below -130°C, so you'd need a purpose built separator and an oil that will at least partially flow with nitrogen... third, the hex efficiency drops very rapidly at those temps, and thus we'd need a pretty gnarly compressor (cost being the main problem) to condense the nitrogen... and of course the thing has to be insulated (i mean REALLY insulated), meaning that the setup has to be slightly larger, which will also reduce the efficiency

plus there'd be a whole bunch of other challenges, i haven't actually done the math on this one, but im just saying... it is possible

Just as long as we never need that kind of cooling for day to day operations.

Maybe once I become rich and famous I will invest the cash into a working LN2 loop lol.

It's cool and all, but a pretty stupid overall concept.

And seriously... Aluminum radiator, for the price it should be silver.

Aluminum is used because of its high specific heat... If silver was used.. fry, low specific heat.

Aluminum is used because its the best metal conductor of heat, like water, water has the highest with 4.18

Aluminum has .900
Silver .238

Basic chemistry

But i understand the price.. its ridiculous, but then again they gotta make money like the rest of us. Kudos to em

^lol! It was a joke. He was commenting on the price. I think Aspire knows that aluminum is a better conductor. And it's actually not the best. Copper is. But it is a lot more expensive.

^lol! It was a joke. He was commenting on the price. I think Aspire knows that aluminum is a better conductor. And it's actually not the best. Copper is. But it is a lot more expensive.

actually... silver is a much better thermal conductor than almost anything (429 W/mK)... water is only 0.6, aluminium is 200 and copper is 380...

what zepfan was saying silver heats very rapidly (takes less energy to increase the atomic kinetic energy), while aluminium heats slowest of any metal... when building a rad, you want the material that will heat as slow as possible, because once the surface gets to a certain heat (based on the air temperature) its starts to lack heat dissipating ability, so if this energy can be stored in the metal, the overall performance increases

high conductivity, high heating metals (Cu, Ag, etc) are used to conduct heat away from components (CPU, GPU, etc)

Aluminum is used because of its high specific heat... If silver was used.. fry, low specific heat.

Aluminum is used because its the best metal conductor of heat, like water, water has the highest with 4.18

Aluminum has .900
Silver .238

Basic chemistry

But i understand the price.. its ridiculous, but then again they gotta make money like the rest of us. Kudos to em

It's also basic thermodynamics in knowing that a metal with a lower specific heat will be able to get rid of thatw heat faster. There is simply less heat to get rid off.

Copper is used most commonly because it has a very high specific heat for the price.

Silver is the best non exotic metal to use but it costs a huge amount more than copper.

Get your facts right before spewing garbage. Mixing water cooling and aluminum is just asking for galvanic corrosion to occur which is unavoidable if you mix metals.

It's also basic thermodynamics in knowing that a metal with a lower specific heat will be able to get rid of thatw heat faster. There is simply less heat to get rid off.

Copper is used most commonly because it has a very high specific heat for the price.

Silver is the best non exotic metal to use but it costs a huge amount more than copper.

Get your facts right before spewing garbage. Mixing water cooling and aluminum is just asking for galvanic corrosion to occur which is unavoidable if you mix metals.

ahh sorry bought that, i was thinking about that, the thermal conductivity is far greater in silver, sorry mate, jumped to conclusions on my behalve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom