Video editing computer advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

teknicalissue

Solid State Member
Hello im new to the forum and i'm hoping this forums a keeper =).

i have a sweet gaming rig (ill show off my specs later) so i know how to build a computer but recently.. ive stumbled on to something interesting.. i have a client that wants a video editing pc (rendering with premiere cs4, photoshop, encore, and after effects) after doing some reading up i found out that the processors i would have chosen are sadly not up to the job.. infact i was introduced to a new line of processors (lol it was new for me) the xeons, i need opinions on this video editing rig and will it do the job at lighting speeds =P

MB: Newegg.com - ASUS Maximus II Formula LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
RAM(4gb's): Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
PROCESSOR: Newegg.com - Intel Xeon X3350 Yorkfield 2.66GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Servers

i also need to capture DV so im guessing a firewire adapter could do the job
he has a DV camera and need "realtime" rendering in premiere

adapter: Newegg.com - Rosewill 2+1 Port Firewire/1394a Low-Profile PCI Card (Cable Bundle) Model RC-501 - Add-On Cards

i also heard that the SSD's where perfect for video editing (i doubt it because of its slow write speed =/) but heres what im getting for the main OS

HDD: Newegg.com - Patriot PE64GS25SSDR 2.5" 64GB SATA II Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks

the case and the rest (including powersupply) i can figure out on my own, i just need verification on these main parts

honestly, I'd just grab the q9550 or q9450
up it to 4gbs of ram or even 6-8
grab the gigabyte p45 ds3L
throw in a 8600gt

ssd, no comments

but if your client's budget allows, go with i7, encodes faster with more threads :p

oops, i was already planning to go with 4gb's lol sry i din't mention that above, thanks for the fast reply.. um one question id love to know the details on why xeon processors are better than the others, he already has a 7950GT and really doesn't need that much vid power. and whats wrong with the formula one? lol sry i just realllyyyy wanna get this down just incase i get more of these jobs

id love to know the details on why xeon processors are better than the others, he already has a 7950GT and really doesn't need that much vid power. and whats wrong with the formula one?

word on the street has it that xeons are server class processors
designed to withstand more heat/work 24/7 / take more punishment

but I've been fine with consumer counterparts

8600gt is probably weaker than 7950gt gaming wise
but I know 8600gt support hardware encoding, which encodes those videos faster, not quite sure about the 7950gt

and formula one, nothing wrong with it, unless you are doing extreme overclocking the other board(s) are just as good
don't get me wrong, its a very good board, just a lil pricey
but if you work on commission, go ahead and get the expensive parts

ah perfect, just the right information i need, also, hes also rendering 4 to 5 hours of footage ALOT during the day, so if the q's can take that kind of beating then i guess ill go with them. the reason i said 7950GT was because the client didn't want a new vid card on accounts that he already had one lol. and alright ill go with a cheap mobo, its fine lol just as long as i gets the job done, im good i just thought there was a difference and what not

I would suggest even thinking about more than 4gbs of ram. I use alot of graphics software, and with intense things like that alot of ram helps (make sure you get a 64bit OS). Yeh and the formula is made for extreme overclocking, and is a little pointless for what you need. If this is a work computer try and give adequate and quite cooling as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom