Update - might not be the place but its kinda like building

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spud5437

In Runtime
IÂ’m going to update my computer and would like your input.

The system I am using I know very little about a part from:

40GB Hard Drive
256MB Ram
XP Pro
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 100/200
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1.6GHz
I donÂ’t know what my motherboard is but it only has 2 slots where you plug hard and cd drives into (might be PCI not even remotely sure)

What all could I do to make this a better all-round computer? I use it for surfin the net, downloading music/video – mostly from Kazaa, playing games and work – Word, Excel PowerPoint.

Any suggestions will be appreciated

Thanks

Get bigger HD.... if you download a lot, then you will certainly need it. I have 320GB, and that soon will be full.
RAM - Suggest you keep atleast 512mb in there (DDR is best if your mobo supports it).
Graphics card.... they always confuse me, so can't really help you there, but never harms you to replace it if you can afford it within your budget.
processor - 1.6GHz is getting on a bit now... you may aswell update that. Be sure to check what mobo you have though, as some only allow certain speeds. Look to get about 3GHz or just under now.

You can check your mobo by going to:
Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information

HTH

RY

Ps, scrap KaZaA, it's rubbish now... if you have broadband, use mIRC or BitTorrent or similar.

Spud5437, I'm no mod, but please no double posting. you should get adequate answers from posting once under one topic.

dude u ever heard of spring cleaning??? how the hell can u fill a 320gb hd??? thats sumtin for the record books...

320GB FULL?!?!?!?! Let me guess... 25% Music, 25% XXX Stuff ,50% Misc. Programs annd Docs? Some ISO's/ROM's too?

I would upgrade your Hardrive and RAM. You need at least an 80GB hardrive.like RudeYute said you need at least 512MB of RAM too. I think your CPU is good enough for what you do unless you're gonna be gaming, then you also need a new videocard if you can afford it.

That place where u plug indrives is called an IDE connector, PCI slots are located at the back of the the comp and are white.

Ummmmm, ok get a better at least 80GB HDD, at least 512 dual channel DDR RAM, uhhh, don't know about the Vid. card (new or old?), And at least 2.6GHz P4 CPU. Make sure your mobo supports it all, as stated previously. That should do it.

Where do ya get 'em? Only the best comp site, www.newegg.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom