Disable Program installation in 2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

eipeks

In Runtime
Ok, Ive been working on this for 2 days and cant figure it out....

We have multiple users on one computer. All have local admin rights, however, no one is that computer literate here, except me.

Without stirring the pot too much, and telling people to STOP DOWNLOADING crap!...i would like to silently disable the ability of anyone to install programs.

I have already restricted downloading using the registry, but is there anything that can stop program installation?

I have already disabled Windows Installer, but 3rd party software still installs.

oh...And this must be done without making new Groups or Users. Everyone has Admin capability.

This is Windows 2000 Pro.

Thanks!

you browse the group policies and you'll find what you're looking for. but you shouldn't have given them admin rights because eve if you change the group policies, if someone knos how, they can change it back.

Im not the admin. Im just a lowly user who happens to know that we all have admin rights....but no one else knows anything about computers...except how to download spyware and garbage.

So I am going to change this, as our Admin obviously doesnt realize what he's doing.

The question still remains, is there a way?

i don't think there is much that you can do. why don't you change their account types to something other than admin. you don't have to delete and recreate the account.

well, the user names and groups are domain controlled. But any changes I make locally seem to have an effect on the machine we use. I dunno what the heck our admin has done.

Technically, I cant change the users. So, if anyone knows of any way to disable program installation through the registry, pass it on. Ill keep hunting.

Thanks

lol

I cannot change group policies, groups, users...we must forget that exists. hehe

My question was if there was a way to do it Without the use of groups policies.

Anyhoo, I think you are right, I cannot find anything in the registry to disable that function. Ah well.

Thanks for the effort.

Cheers.

peks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom