Help with ftp.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

ms-dos707

Solid State Member
Lately i have been experimenting with ftping in general.
Now im using microsoft's ftp.exe. The problem: First of all i can log in perfectly. But the weird part is once im logged and use the dir command or try to send files it pauses for a period of time and then says this: Connection closed by remote host. This happens on all the ftp servers i log in to.
Any thoughts?

should try entering passive mode if your pc is using NAT to connect to the inet. most soho routers are

might wanna try winscp. i had to use this at work as i had trouble getting passive mode to work through the routers. it has a gui and command line.

SourceForge.net: WinSCP

is there any way just to fix the windows ftp? not to be picky but i would like a solution without switching to another client btw you cant enter passive mode with ftp.exe
oh and every other ftp client works.
also i need the command line ftp for my batch files

i've tried entering passive mode with windows ftp by sending ftp commands. something like call PASV

winscp has command line with automation options....just like windows ftp

use the -passive switch with the open command. you'll have to dig to find this in docs

WinSCP :: Command-line Options

well i found out how to enter passive mode and i did enter it but it still did the remote host disconnect thing
oh and i think it might be because the File Transfer Protocol thingy in services.msc isnt on the list
like i said i need this for batch files so can some one help me with out suggesting another client
thanks in advance

Have you tried using Internet Explorer. There are few if anybody that actually uses ftp.exe in Windows cause it is one of the worst and hardest ftp applications to use.

Unless you contact Microsoft directly I highly doubt you will get a answer. I have been using Windows since 95 and i have never touched ftp.exe cause it is one of the worst things i have seen. Even IE's FTP is better but not by much.

Try Windows Vista Answers | Microsoft Answers

That might be a better place to ask.

thank you but one problem when i click on that link firefox says address not found and i googled it and i didnt find it

Edit: sorry i found it
lol posted too soon
btw its answers.microsoft.com

Yes it is answers.microsoft.com sorry that i forgot that letter. My bad.

oh lol i just realized it is for vista lol im so stupid

do they have one of these for xp sp2?

Maybe the Newsgroups for Windows XP would be the best at this point. They have not rolled out the XP Forums yet as far as i know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom