*** 4870 vs 4850 Battle! ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
see that's only in high... you'd probably get around 35fps in Warhead at those settings (Gamer @ 16x10)... at Enthusiast settings you'd be lucky to get 15-20fps... gurusan's result is quite a feat with any single card... that monster OC on the GPU (more than 40% on the core!) really works wonders

see that's only in high... you'd probably get around 35fps in Warhead at those settings (Gamer @ 16x10)... at Enthusiast settings you'd be lucky to get 15-20fps... gurusan's result is quite a feat with any single card... that monster OC on the GPU (more than 40% on the core!) really works wonders

I suppose, but I do have my global settings set to quality in nvidia's control panel. I bet if I set it to max performance I could even exceed 35fps with 1 card relatively easily.
As for gameplay, well I use 2 of these in SLI now so frame rate is not really an issue in any game. (Im upgrading to GTX 260/216's anyway).
And I dont think Ill be buying warhead though, not only because there's better games out (L4D, FO3) but the motion blur hurts my head :freak:

Good to know that the 4850 is only marginally worse than a 4870, clock for clock. Looks as though Ill be getting a couple of those for my new board.

I'd be interested in knowing what you would get with a non-volt modded overclocked 4850... Shoot I'm kinda regretting getting the 4870 now... Then again I don't have water cooling so I don't see myself getting that high of a overclock anyway, unless theres some really good coolers on some 4850's.

I suppose, but I do have my global settings set to quality in nvidia's control panel. I bet if I set it to max performance I could even exceed 35fps with 1 card relatively easily.

not in Very High you won't... at 16x10 in Very High 2 OCed GTX 280s can only pull around 40fps on average...

I'd be interested in knowing what you would get with a non-volt modded overclocked 4850... Shoot I'm kinda regretting getting the 4870 now... Then again I don't have water cooling so I don't see myself getting that high of a overclock anyway, unless theres some really good coolers on some 4850's.

with a single 4850 on a decent air cooler (HIS IceQ4 sink is just about the best you can get with the card... anything better has to be aftermarket), you can expect an OC of about 700-750MHz without a hardmod... to get beyond 1.2V, you'll need to pencil mod the card... but with that kinda of OC, im able to pull about 50fps in Crysis on High @ 1680x1050 with only one card (cuz CF still sucks in Crysis)

wtf cards are we talking about now? i'm so confused.. i thought we were talking about 48XX series.. but then i saw nvidia control panel mention and 45 fps SLi? huh??

i got no idea what cards P Zero has, but im guessing its a set of 8 series cards because he mentioned running them in SLI... still, 35fps in Crysis at high isnt that great

ah, i thought we were speaking very high and 35 fps.. bout to say.. you must have a set of 260's!

but then i saw his post saying he was getting 260 and i got really confused... haha

ah, i thought we were speaking very high and 35 fps.. bout to say.. you must have a set of 260's!

but then i saw his post saying he was getting 260 and i got really confused... haha
Actually, 2 768mb 9600 GSO's (basically 8800GTS's). And 35fps @ 16:10 @ high setting with 1 $65 card is pretty **** good if you ask me. Considering that it only has a 192 bit interface. These 9600's OC very well, easily 30%, could possibly get more if I volt modded. Dollar for dollar it has more performance than most if not all available cards.

Im building 2 more rigs in the very near future, 1 crossfire and another nvidia machine. When I step my cards up to the 260's Ill run 1 260 in each machine, new build and current rig. But just for kicks and giggles, Ill sli them on my current rig and see what kind of results I get.
As for the xfire rig, I might go with comething cheaper for the time being 3870's perhaps, then get 4870's when the 5xxx series come out, basically when the price is right :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom