Why won't my laptop go into standby or hibernate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyual767

In Runtime
I've got my Toshiba Satellite XP machine set to turn off the display at 2 mins and go into stby in 3 mins and to hibernate after 5 mins via the control panel>power options. The laptop screen turns off after 2 mins just fine.

No matter what I do, I can't get this laptop to go into stby or hibernate. I've got it programmed to go into hibernate when I close the lid and that works fine. However, I don't always remember to close the lid nor should I have to since the machine should go into stby at 3 mins and hibernate in 5 mins. It went dead on me last night because I forgot to close the lid :mad:.

I've got a 2 yr old eMachines PC with XP that has the same problem about 50% of the time. These two computers are driving me nuts! My wife's old Averatec XP laptop goes into stby and hibernate just fine. Please help.

FWIW, the only application I have open is Firefox for surfing the internet. Nothing else!

Are you fully up to date with SP3 and all updates?

I just checked to make sure and I do have SP3. I'm on the Windows update site right now and the laptop is up to date on all updates.

This is bothering me so much :mad:. I've been watching my laptop's processes on the task manager and I'm noticing that the CPU % will go up to as high as 20-25% when I've got nothing going on with the computer but the task manager. Most of the time its in the single digits, though.

This is with Firefox closed and no other windows but the task manager open.

Even after turning all of the processes off the computer still won't go into stby or hibernate. AAAArrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhh:mad: !

Do you have third party software that is controlling your power options? We have toshiba laptops at work that come preinstalled with their own power management software, any changes you make to the windows power options doesn't affect them, we have to change the settings in toshibas' power management software to make them work.

EDIT: If you do you probably wouldn't know it was running as it auto starts when you fire up windows. Check the programs near where the time and date are stored on the start bar.

Do you have third party software that is controlling your power options? We have toshiba laptops at work that come preinstalled with their own power management software, any changes you make to the windows power options doesn't affect them, we have to change the settings in toshibas' power management software to make them work.

EDIT: If you do you probably wouldn't know it was running as it auto starts when you fire up windows. Check the programs near where the time and date are stored on the start bar.

Tom, no third party software that I know of. There is nothing down by the time and date that leads me to believe that anything is there.

As far as me being able to change the power options via the control panel goes-I can change the time to turn the monitor off but there is no effect with me changing the times for disc off, stby or hibernate.

Standby and hibernate functionality is incredibly finicky, much more so than it should be. Just about any service or program running in the background could cause this problem. Unfortunately, the only way to narrow down which one is causing the problem is to start disabling things, a couple at a time, and see what happens.

I've seen this problem caused by any number of security applications such as anti-virus and firewall programs.

What process is taking up that 20-25%? Cant help you if you dont tell us that kind of info.

Have you tried to go thru our guide?

http://www.techist.com/forums/f51/spyware-removal-guide-osiris-updated-11-13-2008-a-165828/

I've tried downloading the guide but my PC goes nuts as its trying to open it up. I can finally get it but I can't click on any of the links.

I just started my laptop back up to try to see if I could tell what process is using up the CPU. Wouldn't you know it? Its all quiet at 0-2% right now.

Try Safe Mode with networking. That should allow you to open the links as well go thru the guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom