Media PC. Little Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

nOcLuE98

Biohazardous
I am looking for a media pc build. 2 terabytes of store, good solid motherboard. Good solid cpu, not crazy fast, but it can't be slow. I need an attractive, good quality media center case as well. Thanks in advance for your input. Here is what I had in mind.

Cpu: Q6600- cheap, powerful. Still a great choice?
Mobo: A P45 board. I remember how great the P35 was, P45 live up to it? I am open to suggestions on all of this.
Ram: not sure, what do I need?
Storage: 2 terabytes of something. prob western digital. I think newegg has a deal for a 99 dollar 1 terabyte drive.
gpu: something small. 9600gt?

input?

$414 after rebates
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 Wolfdale 2.66GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops <--- qould be better then a Q6600 in a media pc environment although you could drop lower to the E5280
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Storage upto you obviously I would keep a small 320gb for the OS and main programs and the 2tb for storage the seagates come with a 5 year warranty but thats about all that is between the seagates and WD's
Gpu: 9600gt will be fine you could even drop a gen to a 8500 or 8600
Cases: I really like this silverstone one
KustomPCs.co.uk - Silverstone LC16M Silver
Antec also make some good cases
KustomPCs.co.uk - Antec Fusion Remote HTPC Case Silver
I realise that isn't US but you can find for yourself on newegg

ok awesome. I am not sure what I will do for a case, but I will probably go with the quad, an older gpu, maybe 8600, even though I am pretty sure that is a trash gpu. But I wont be doing any gaming, it doesnt need to be powerful at all.

The 8500gt then its quite powerful and comes passively cooled reducaing system noice, enermax also comes with some passive psu's nad you could get the Samsung f1 1tb drives as they're a bit quiter then average. With htpc for me its all about silence so that you can full appreciate what your watching. Also I would add a souncard it does make quite a radical difference. You don't need a Q6600 they're old run hot and not particularily fast if your looking for a quad start at the Q9300

np...just thought I'd offer since your looking for one. I bought it a few months ago because I was looking at getting a HTPC for Blu-Ray, but now I'm wondering if it's worth it over just getting a Blu-Ray player.

if you were going to set up a system under your TV, you may as well. the functionality is amazing. I have one already. Its great. I set up rss feeds and torrent DLing, so it moves all my tv shows to where they need to be before i get home from work. So incredibly useful. That, and having a computer that doesnt do all that much, expect when you are home. Very useful for things like proxy servers, and run linux firewalls in vmware and things like that.
EDITED

For htpc's, 780G with a dual core is your best bet.

No need for Q6600/9600GT, thats major overkill.

You also have to take into consideration noise and heat when building an htpc. quads
and higher end gpu's are a very bad idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom