System or Hardware problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockstar

Beta member
I have already reinstalled windows XP pro a few times and this problem still persists. When XP is freshly installed, the loading page (where theres a win XP logo and a blue bar running across) takes me to desktop almost immediately.

The problem starts when i start installing programs and drivers. The blue bar runs across much longer than before; from 2/3 times to about 8 times before finally reaching the desktop. At the moment i do not know whether theres something wrong with XP or my hardware.

I hope u guys and experts can help me solve this before i attempt to do any repairs/purchase. Thank you.

MSI 865PE Neo2
Pentium 2.4
256 mb ram
40Gb HDD 5400 rpm

Are you saying that when the first time you had xp with all the programs installed,it loaded fast?

your system is fine. the more programs and drivers you install is the longer the boot process will be. do a windows update to find out if there is any driver updates that may use less resources on your pc.

is your hard drive ok. its a 5400rpm, maybe you should think about getting a newer faster hard drive.
is anything on your mobo integrated??
thirdly, you may want to get 256mb more memory just to be on the safe side.

but i think that your computer is fine.

DERRMC: yea, it was much faster when i just got the comp. with all the programs and stuff.

THEMAJOR: programs such as adobe acrobat reader, ad-aware, pc-cilin, quicktime, divx, codecs....
drivers such as printer drivers, graphic card drivers, sound card (integrated)...

XOTIX: the only thing integrated that im using is the sound card..

Oh yea, i forgot to mention also that sometimes when i boot up my PC, it freezes at the screen when its searching for the HDD...
either that or a message appears saying 'Missing operating system'. I would then hafta fiddle with the cables connecting to my HDD to get it to work.

Therefore, i really think thats something is very wrong....which makes the booting process a lil too slow....

Thank you for all your opinions...

Is there any way to confirm that the hard drive is dying or have problems? I was just wondering about the cables though....

test it out in another machine. do a scandisk test. go to pcpitstop.com i think they have a hd test. or you could just try a diff hard drive in ur computer.

Well, first of all, i dont haf a spare HD so i checked it in PCpitstop and found no problems with my HD. Scandisk also did not detect anything....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom