The system I am about to order...questions/help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nahledge

Baseband Member
The CPU and windows vista I am getting as a gift, already ordered. The rest is in my shopping cart...I am looking for advice if any pieces dont fit or if a certain item would be better or if I am missing something. I already have 4 gigs of memory.

Barebone system:

Newegg.com - Shuttle SX38P2-Pro Intel Socket T(LGA775) Intel X38 4 x 240Pin Barebone - Barebone Systems

Hard Drives:

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3160815A 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Already ordered CPU and OS:

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English for System Builders 1pk DSP OEI DVD - Operating Systems

Now the problem with the video card.....the one I have right now is:

Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-N959-TR GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

but I think I want to upgrade and return that...I was thinking about:

Newegg.com - XFX PVT98WYDFH GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
or
Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N980-AR GeForce 9800 GT Hybrid Power 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

whats the difference with those?

or maybe a:

Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-N972-TR GeForce 9800 GT 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Please link me anything that is better within the same price range. Any comments or info is appreciated.

I am mainly going to be playing World of Warcraft, iTunes, web browser, watching movies, might purchase high end graphics games like Crysis, will paly Counter Strike....

Also would it be better to not buy the barebone system and pay someone to build it from scratch?

Thanks in advance!!!

You should get this video card instead of the GTX, its more money but well worth it.

And just out of curiosity why are you getting a shuttle?

Ok, I'm pretty sure you're the same guy (I'm too lazy to check) that already asked about the barebone and we told you not to get it. It is a small case, ugly, probably doesn't have very good airflow and it has a weak psu in it. I don't understand why you keep coming back to it. Get your own motherboard, psu, case and all the rest of the parts you want and put it together yourself. It isn't hard at all and there are plenty of guides and people here to help you if you hit any snags. Don't pay somebody to put it together, its not worth the money.

This card is much better than both of those and costs about the same. It will play any newer games that you end up buying
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

These parts will blow away that shuttle barebone thing that you can't get away from for less money.
Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Newegg.com - LIAN LI PC-6070APLUS Silver Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TPower I45 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Have I convinced you yet?

Ok I thought Nvidia was a better video card but that looks ok sure. Why a 160$ case?

I wanted the barebone because im lazy and will probably mess up if i try to build it from scratch.

I put that case in there because it is a really nice case and I basically wanted to prove to you that I could put together much better parts for less money. You can get whatever case you want.

Putting together a computer is frickin easy and barebones haven't really done anything. You will still have to take the motherboard out of that case to put your cpu in and everything. Once you take that out, you're basically at step one with all of your parts separate. Its very hard to mess it up. Building pretty much involves putting things in the right slot. Everything only goes in one way and each part can only go in one place. Its basically a grown up version of those little boxes that had wholes in the top shaped like circles and squares and what not for toddlers to put the right shaped piece through, if you know what I'm talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom