i7 vs Quad-Core and other questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimera778

Solid State Member
OK, so I am looking to buy a new computer, hopefully in the next few months or weeks and I have a few questions. How much better is an i7 cpu than a Quad Core, I have seen both a 2.66ghz i7 and a 2.66 Quad Core, and I really don't know what makes the i7 different. which would be better, a 2.66 i7 or a 2.83 quad core?

If i go with a i7 then I would need DDR3 memory, and DDR2 would be enough for a quad core?

Also I have some questions about graphics cards, and how much teh memory on the card means. I read on the sticky at the top that smaller memory on a card doesnt always mean less performance, so let me me see if I get this right....a 896mb gtx260 will perform better, and is a better card, than a 1gb 9800? If so, the 9800 is still a good card right, it will probably fit better into my budget.

What I am really looking for is a computer to run games like FarCry2, Fallout3, and Crysis (mostly fallout 3) really well, and still be able to handle games for the next few years.

Thanks in advance for any help given, I sure could use it!

OK, so I am looking to buy a new computer, hopefully in the next few months or weeks and I have a few questions. How much better is an i7 cpu than a Quad Core, I have seen both a 2.66ghz i7 and a 2.66 Quad Core, and I really don't know what makes the i7 different. which would be better, a 2.66 i7 or a 2.83 quad core?

If i go with a i7 then I would need DDR3 memory, and DDR2 would be enough for a quad core?

Also I have some questions about graphics cards, and how much teh memory on the card means. I read on the sticky at the top that smaller memory on a card doesnt always mean less performance, so let me me see if I get this right....a 896mb gtx260 will perform better, and is a better card, than a 1gb 9800? If so, the 9800 is still a good card right, it will probably fit better into my budget.

What I am really looking for is a computer to run games like FarCry2, Fallout3, and Crysis (mostly fallout 3) really well, and still be able to handle games for the next few years.

Thanks in advance for any help given, I sure could use it!

Welcome to TF mate,

1. Well, just so you know i7 are quad cores, they are just a newer process or than some older quad cores. The i7 quads are the fastest, then the Q9XXX and Q8XXX series, then the Q6XXX series. This of course is when they are all clocked at the same speed, eg. 2.66 Ghz. The i7s are quite a bit faster than the previous series though, and so they are worth getting (at least the 920 is, the others are way overpriced) considering they are not too much more than a similar Q9550 (2.83Ghz), and yeild more performance. The new i7s are also multithreaded, which means that every core can run 2 threads at once, effectively doubling the multitasking capability (although not quite double in reality).

2. Yes i7 needs DDR3, the older quads mostly use DDR2, but some motherboards support DDR3 too.

3. Graphics card performance depend on alot more than just the amount of ram. The speed of the processors and ram, along with how efficient the architecture is all have big impacts. Think of it as - if you have a really good memory but only have an IQ of 52, your still probably not going to do well in physics... The best thing to do is look at alot of benchmarks, because there are soooo many cards out there, and often there is not a clear - this one is better than the other - in cards around the same price. The 9800 range (GT or GTX or GTX+???) will be beaten by a big margin by the GTX 260, but are still nice cards if you dont need top of the line.

4. i7 will be great fot those games, and a GTX 260 would complement it well (a 9800 series is a little underpowered in comparison) so if you want us to suggest a good build just give us a budget!

If you are looking for a nice future proof build, I would suggest getting i7. Like meat_helmet said, give us a budget and we will put together a nice system for you :)

Thank you for the help so far,

Right now, I am willing to spend somewhere between 1100-1700$ or so. It really depends on what kind of performance I can get for how much. I havn't really decided to build my own or buy a ready built system yet, as I have never built my own system before, and I'm really not sure about my ability to learn.

Let me just tell you this... BUILD!! lol... anyways, building really isn't as hard it may seem. Its pretty much just plugging things into their appropriate spots and installing your OS. You can pretty much teach yourself if you have the parts sitting in front of you. Plus, you will spend more money than you need to if you get a pre-built.

I would put together a build for you but I don't really have time atm but I'm sure somebody else will put together a parts list for you.

An i7 build with $1100 is possible, but a $1700 would be an absolutely bone-crushing rig. I'm definietely not nearly as experienced as others, so see what other people say about this. But this would serve your purposes for the games listed:

CPU: i7 920

Mobo: EVGA SLI

RAM: 2 x 3 Gigs G. Skill 1600 RAM

GPU: 2x GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI

Power Supply: Corsair 750W

Case: Antec 900

Cost: $1525 without shipping

This build could be slightly improved and stay within your budget, but would give you amazing performance, enough to max those games, except for Crysis of course (but would come close I think)

EDIT: Since the EVGA motherboard I listed is out of stock on newegg again, the Gigabyte UD5 would also suffice.

I don't know if anyone will agree with me with this,but what i would do is to wait a little while about a few months (if you can) to see what better/newer motherboards will come out. There is so few boards the support i7 boards and I wouldn't want you or anyone else to have a defective motherboard due to the fact that it is newer technology. Let the companies get the bugs worked out with better product. This is always a problem with new technology. I wouldn't go with the gigabyte because of the problems hit has. Get the ASUS P6T Deluxe because asus makes great boards. Thats if your really wanting a new computer... Ram prices will come down too, if you wait a little while...

Also building a computer isn't very difficult, I learned by just making sure all my parts were compatible, and watching a few construction videos... Once you think you only know a little, you actually know it all...

CPU: i7 920

Mobo: ASUS P6T Deluxe

RAM: 2 x 3 Gigs G. Skill 1600 RAM

GPU:Evga GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked
(You only need one unless you are going extreme into benchmarking or big in games, always can add another)

Power Supply: Corsair 750W

Case: Antec 900

DVD: Lg DVD Burner

Blu-Ray: LITE-ON Black 6X Blu-Ray
(Whats a powerful system without HD playback)

HDD: x2 Western Digital 500gb running in RAID
(Raid is all the difference)

Comes down to $1,603.89
But the price will drop if you wait, jus remember that... If you keep up with technology you will wished you waited a few months for cheaper price...

I don't know if anyone will agree with me with this,but what i would do is to wait a little while about a few months (if you can) to see what better/newer motherboards will come out. There is so few boards the support i7 boards and I wouldn't want you or anyone else to have a defective motherboard due to the fact that it is newer technology. Let the companies get the bugs worked out with better product. This is always a problem with new technology. I wouldn't go with the gigabyte because of the problems hit has. Get the ASUS P6T Deluxe because asus makes great boards. Thats if your really wanting a new computer... Ram prices will come down too, if you wait a little while...

What are you talking about, the x58 is a proven motherboard, and Gigabyte motherboards dont have any issues. In fact most of the time we reccomend their X58 UD5 over a more expensive P6T.

cpu: Core i7 920
mob: Newegg.com - ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
ram: Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
PSU: Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
HD: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
CASE:Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
DVD: Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - CD / DVD Burners

this is only 1270 bucks. that leaves your 430 dollars for a graphics card.
you have several options.

ATI solution:
(1)4870 1GB
Newegg.com - ASUS EAH4870 DK/HTDI/1GD5 Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
(2)4870512
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
(1)4850x2 2GB
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100270SR Radeon HD 4850 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Nvidia:
(2)GTX 260 (core 192)
Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1260-AR GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
(1)GTZ 260 (core 216)
Newegg.com - XFX GX260NADBF GeForce GTX 260 Black Edition Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
(1)GTX 280 (core 240)
Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1282-AR GeForce GTX 280 SuperClocked Edition 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

take your pick.
and finally your going to want a nice cpu cooler.

great info. I am new to the forum and I have the some similar questions as the poster. However, when I was in microcenter I saw an i7 pc for $1,299. I was planning on building a pc, but lately I have been seeing already put together machines for a decent price. I think I am sold on the i7 (btw thank you), but now I am not sure about building one. Any help?

I would like to spend around $1,300.
I do not use my pc for games(atleast not currently), but I do watch movies,edit music and I would like to watch tv on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom