$800 build, can I do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr DMoney

In Runtime
My friend will be needing a new computer soon , so I am going to build him one. He is going to be using it for Cadd work, internet, word, and maybe a game here or there. Not a PC gamer to say. He will also need a 22" monitor for Cadd work. This is what I pick out so far and it comes just under $800 with shipping. Max to go is $825 with shipping, using zip 46815. Should I go quad core instead, and how about using 8gb of ram because he uses cadd. Hers the list...

Newegg.com - LG Black 22X
Newegg.com - Rosewill R604-P BK 120mm Fan ATX Mid Tower Computer
Newegg.com - Hanns·G Hi-221DPB Black 22" 5ms Widescreens
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250310AS 250GB
Newegg.com - Broadway Com Corp P4-OKIA600-BLACK 600W ATX Power Supply
Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N971-TR GeForce 9800 GT 512MB
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP43-DS3L P43 ATX Intel Motherboard
Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800 (PC2 6400
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz

I wouldn't get that PSU, it looks like a PoS to be honest.

I would probably get this http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/7041/sig0jc.png

This bigger HD might be nice since he is going to be storing alot of big files it seems like
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Cadd would definitely benefit from quad core if you can squeeze it in the budget. If you can get 4GB ram and a quad core that would be pretty good.

I wouldn't get that PSU, it looks like a PoS to be honest.

I would probably get this http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/7041/sig0jc.png

This bigger HD might be nice since he is going to be storing alot of big files it seems like
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Cadd would definitely benefit from quad core if you can squeeze it in the budget. If you can get 4GB ram and a quad core that would be pretty good.

I second this, you never can have too much hard drive space. New Egg is constantly having deals on HDs... grab a couple Western Digitals, and RAID 0 or 1 them together... RAID makes all the difference.

On his budget, RAID doesn't really fit in and its not all that effective. Ya, it is nice but it is really only sensible for people with large budgets.

HAHA I just realized I linked you to your own in-progress sig. I didn't mean to do that. The PSU that you picked was actually the one I meant to link you to anyways though.

I currenty have that Hiper PSU up for auction on ebay. Bought it less than a year ago for $100, only one guy has bid on it up to my reserve of $49.

I don't know if I am allowed to link to it or not on these forums? If I am not, let me know mods.....

Hiper Type-R 580 Watt modular power supply - eBay (item 230313066156 end time Dec-15-08 19:00:00 PST)

Also, for the HDD....I hate to do this because I don't recommend Seagates, but for only $10 more you can double the HDD capacity and also double the cache size.

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Just got an email for a promo code on this item to bring it to $59.99 w/ free shipping. Promo: EMCBCBCAG (Good until 12/18/08)

Thanks you, I might just go for the bigger drive. I think i am sticking to the rosswell, eBay shipping is a nightmare (not ur fault, just that newegg has very high standards when it comes to shipping)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom