WHat does Pc ram do

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigantdog

Baseband Member
Hi guys , i have a question. What does Pc ram do, If you have a radeon 9800 256mb video card how does ram play its role ??? i have duel ram slots on my Mb , please explain to me what does ram do :eek:

Simply stated, Random Access Memory is a name applied to microchips designed to store and address information while a computer is actually using it. This is in contrast to the hard drive, which stores and accesses information semi-permanently (that is, until it is deleted).

RAM is volatile, which means that it needs a constant current supplied to it in order for it to retain information. Once the current is removed, the information disappears. This is why you have to save a document that you're working on before you shut off your computer. When you hit "save," the document is transferred from the RAM (temporary storage), to the hard drive or other non-volatile storage media (floppy disk, CD-RW, etc.). This is also one reason why it's important to save long documents periodically while you're working on them. If your computer experiences even a brief power interruption, all of the information stored in RAM will be lost.
Hope this helps:)

Newer games such as FarCry and Doom 3 will take all the video card memory (256M). These were the 1st game to take advantage of the full video memory. Older games only used up to 128M. Further more, these games also use some of your system RAM as temporary storage before the info is sent to your GPU (Graphic Processor Unit). So if you increase your RAM size in your computer, everything will be improved.

bigantdog RAM holds whatever is on your screen, or any programs/processes running in the background; like your anti-virus of firewall. RAM is volatile which means when there is no power feeding the RAM it is cleared, that is why it is a good idea to restart your computer every once in a while.

Graphics card memory is the same, but graphics card memory does not hold "running" anti-virus software, it only holds textures, pixels etc... anything that is 3D or game related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom