core i7 questions and setup advice please... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rave_tech

In Runtime
well i dont know a whole lot about my new core i7 build so i just wanted some advice on the following issues:

1. my processor temp in bios says about 45C at idle, and i have it set to go off at 60C to warn me.....i unplugged the fan to see if it worked an it went off at 60C....so that was good news...
i then loaded the temp program that i was advised about earlier...(not realtem) the other one.....it showd 78-84 C at load....but the sound didnt go off until 75C??
does that mean the temps are not correct in the software? because the bios should be more reliable right? i am confused....:confused:

2. my clock is currently 3.76 ghz, i have the voltage entered manually at 1.42350 v, but it doesnt use it all usually gets around 1.4000 v...
my ram is running around 1500 or so, i have the voltage set to 1.6 cause its gskill and is set for 1.5 - 1.6 v..
my question is for my setup what should my volages for qpi, cpu, mch, and all over for this setup? can you guys recommend to me also what my timing should be?

i dont want to damage the cpu, so if you think the clock is too high, just let me know all the numbers to plug in....
i would like to get around 3.5 - 4.0 ghz without getting to where you guys think that its too much...

i am also wondering, instead of leaving the multiplyer at 20x and raising the bclk higher....couldnt i just raise the bclk to max, and then lower the multiplyer?

i didnt realize till i looked it up, but a ATI 4870 is GDDR5 wow:eek:

i dont want to sound dumb but how much scaling am i getting outta the 8800GT's? is it possible that they together are as fast as "1" 4850 or "1" 4870"?

thanks so much in advance guys :)

EDIT: there was a guy on newegg.com saying that the Qx9650 was faster in everyway than the i7 920, or i965, and i dont know if this is true or not but i thought the only difference between an extremem and regular is the multiplyer? Anyhow it looks like the core i7 is similar to the amd phenom with l3 cache and what not....

a stock qx9770 is about on par with a i7 920.. that guys an idiot.. lol

anywho...

the temp problems.. i'm not sure, these are too new right now, and the temp programs may or may not have the correct tj max to display the proper readings

also... the highest bclk you will reach should only be arond 220 (world record is something like 230)

so no.. don't lower your multiplyer....

and 8800gt's in sli are probably around the capabilities of a 4870 (stock 4870 at that... and the 512mb edition)

what do you think my voltages should be?

i have 3.4 ghz right now, at 1.3750v and ram 1.580 v

is this ok? how do i properly adjust the qpi and voltage for it and the uncore...?

i am really new to this, its almost like an amd cpu LOL

thanks for your help too ;)

First off, what program are you using to monitor temps? It doesn't help to know what you're not using lol. If those temps are true though, thats pretty high, what hsf are you using again? I don't remember.

Second, that vcore seems pretty high. You should try lowering the vcore gradually until it becomes unstable and then set it at the lowest stable vcore, that should lower your temps a little.

As for your memory, your timings should be as low as you can get them stable i guess. One general rule I stick by is that the first three timings should add up to equal or greater than the fourth.

Don't listen to people on newegg reviews. They usually don't know what they are talking about. The statement he posted was completely false. He is an idiot. The difference between the extreme and regular is the unlocked multi and for some reason I feel like there was something else that I read was different about the 965 but I can't remember.

Oh and all of the new high end ATI cards are GDDR5, there were even some older ones (I don't know specifically) that had GDDR5.

Frickin nos beat me...

anywho... i myself am still wondering safe voltages for i7's and whatnot...

but my rule of thumb.. if the temps are fine!! don't worry...

and degradation.. SO WHAT.. anyone who buys a chip when its first release... probably changes their processor every 6 months to a year anyway.

thanks guys :)

what about qpi? and uncore? my memory timing is at 8-8-8-24 right now, i am going to try to get it lower, but its rated at 1.5-1.6 v and everytime i get to 1600ish mhz or lower than that timing it blue screens, so i may have to give it 1.7 v.....i hope this is safe :)

i am using a stock intel one, i had to fight to get them clipped in...lol

i tried coretemp, as well as real temp...but the readings are off here is what they say:

idle = 42C at load(80%) = 63ish C
but the board doesnt go off until real temp says 70+ C, yet the board is set to go off at 60C ?

so i think i trust the board more, dont you? i am a little confused LOL

qpi.. hrmmm around 7000mhz qpi you need around 1.45-1.5v if i remember right.. i don't know, i may be wrong.. i have to check my overclocked settings

as for ram.. 1.7v won't hurt ;)

uncore is a toughy... i usually have my uncore = to my cpu speed

uncore voltage set to 1.4v..

man i needa recheck.. i'm at work right now, so i have no clue.. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom