My First Build(please help~)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going for i7 not because of overclocking. It because of its new socket 1366
I'm planning to use this computer like for another i say 5~7 years. By then i think core 2 would be out of date and so would i7 be flashed out soon. Thats why i got the motherboard. This would help me change new CPUs when i need to. Because this is the start of the new model of 1366 right? I'm guessing intel won't replace this socket anytime soon

For the Ram yeah maybe i'll reconsider getting DD3 3GB
i mean its only another $10~$30 maximum to get another Gb

Thanks guys for the help so far =D appreciate it

Yeah precisely this is the start so the motherboards and cpus have flaws that need rigourous complaint forms to be filled out processed and then some engineer to ponder for a month then send to the head office to get overviewed finally he gets the ok hey presto its a year later. I think jumping on the band wagon too early when you are not going to use the full advantages the wagon offers is stupid yes I7 is great but the cost/performance doesn't do it in my eyes hence why I am a little concerned that your going I7 without using its full potential due to budget problems. The skt775 hasn't had its day yet those processors are still super fast and we are still reccomending builds made with them :)

I see what you mean...
So what your trying to say that even though i7 is good but if i'm using it wisely it would be a bit of a waste?
But i'm really concerned that overclocking things would shorten the life time of the cpu, and i know that the i7 can go up too 5ghz and all that. But in the mean while i do not think i would use the maximum potential.In the future where thing are getting ridiculously out of hands i might start overclocking it.

As for the core 2 series do you really think it would last for me for 5-7 years? i mean thats a long time and if the core 2 series starts to fail me in some way or another and i need a better CPU. It means that i have to ditch the CPU and the motherboard. I don't want to spend that much money in the long run.

Thanks for the awareness of the problem that might occur during my uses of my computer coming soon. But i have set my mind of using the i7, and yes i would take your advise and give it a boost when i feel necessary.

This Saturday i'm going to check the price at the computer shop and most likely next Sunday i would get my first building blocks in my hand =D

If anyone here still finds some places that is abnormal or has a suggestion, please feel free to comment like i said any comments are appreciated

:eek: 5ghz not unless your using liquid nitrogen to cool it. They overclock quite well expect 3.6ghz easily done and buying an aftermarket cooler extends the lifetime of a cpu anyway. Relativiely a cpu is manufactured to last 6 years at stock speeds you add a cpu cooler and you kick it upto 10+ years. If you then overclock your bring it down to 4-5 years but alot faster and by that time your looking for an upgrade. They produce one chip that they then in factory overclock to make 920's into 940's because of factory thresholds not every cpu is as good an overclocker as another.

I just think your making a mistake to go I7 when its first out if your not using its full potential in the long run that will cost you more money.

i'm gonna put my 2 cents...

core i7 is amazing.. i don't care what anyone says... only a few people in the forums actually own one

i for one have owned ALOT on the s775 side... 2 q6600s, 1 6700, 2 e8500, e6600, e2180 and a qx6850...

all of which were at least sitting 3.6ghz foreverday use.. the qx6850 was at 4.0ghz and the e8500 was 4.3

i will tell you... i love this core i7 sitting at 2.66 ghz (stock) more than i did ANY of those processors

it is FAR from a mistake going i7.. and spending the extra what... 200-300 dollars over a current quad core system is more than worth it

everyone goes basing their stupid judgements on old reviews... well this is not an old review... this is an owner of i7...... i'm telling you, this thing does freakin everything i could ever want it to do.. the memory bandwidth is just absolutely monstrous, and everything runs silky smooth no matter how many things you have running on it

don't go looking for help on system from people who havent owned on both said... take it from me... ask veedub and ape4life... go on xtremesystems.org/forums..... everyone... EVERYONE who owns an i7 will tell you its a world of difference

everyone who says it isnt a world of different.. probably doesnt own one.. and only looks at stupid numbers from benchmarks to make judgement..

True and I trust Nosboost's judgement he knows his tech well and wouldn't BS just to big up his own system. He changes it every other week so there would be little point to say it is the best unless it was true lol

but again!!! don't get me wrong.. the current s775 quad core line is amazing no doubt..

but really.. i had my doubts with i7.... and didnt think it was going to be a miracle jump... but my god!!!

i didnt thind i'd ever see the day i was running windows vista... play crysis warhead and dead space... alt tabbing between the two... while torrenting and burning a cd .... and none of the games performance was hickuped or anything!!!! it was pretty crazy.. i've told this story like 15 times already.. lol but i still can't get over it!!!!

and after doing some searching and what not.. it appears nahalem is 20% clock for clock against a yorkfield cpu.... so just run ur i7 at 3.2ghz and its like running close to a 4.0ghz penryn.... and 3.2 can be achieved on stock cooler if you wanted to!!!! now in truely multithreaded applications you can expect something more along the lines of 30-60% clock for clock

but... as salty has said already.. its potential is probably not here with infancy chipset drivers.. lack of multithreaded aps, and new mobo's.... i'm sure later on we will also get revisions of cpu's.. new stepping along with x68 motherboards...

but anywho... its surely not a waste going over to i7... its the future.... lol so why not hop on it now!!!!!i don't see any part of the system going out in any way for the next at least half a year (well when they release a new line of motherboards and cpu revisions). but of course that just means you'll have slightly older hardware.. not that it'll be obsolete or anything

oh my god >.O
Ok **** this is bad...i checked the price today and it was a bit off what i expected.
$960(USD)=$1460.15(AUS)
yeah and i kind of forgot to check the currency. So now i have an idea:
1. to buy it here and play the safe way,but spend more, in case something happens to the building blocks...because of the warranty or
2. ship it from new egg and most likely not to get any cover what so ever, but cheaper.

Please help me on this one
thanks for the help before Nos and salty =D

You can order from newegg in AUS I was looking for bargain shops to find a Iphone a little while back and found out about the company sorry can't remember off the top of my head who they are but the site wasn't very hard to find and I am using UK google so I would imagine it would be even easier for the £5 POM google to find it. They don't just sell iphones they can order anything over for you but the hype was over the iphone trade as apparently they are extortionate there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom