First time OCer and heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I know this thread may be over and done with, but I'm in the same boat as ratzlaff, an OC'ing beginner. I'll be getting my i7 build soon, and I'd like to OC my 920 to 3.2 GHZ. I'm prepared to get the Thermalright, but getting that $40 Aftermarket sounds way more appealing, especially since 3.2 is almost doable on the stock heatsink (not for me though).

For the OC'ing software, I guess I'll get Intel Burntest or Prime95, and Coretemp or speedfan.

3.2 GHZ is a relatively low OC for the 920, right? I'm thinking I'll be safe with a decent aftermarket cooler, and with a voltage a little more than high enough to prevent stability issues.

And sorry guys, I think I just hijacked a thread!

Mike, I am on the stock cooler right now and by just simply upping the QPI a bit I got 3.15 with ease. I could go higher but my temps aren't all that great so I'm going to leave it there until I get my watercooling setup again. You should shoot for way higher than 3.2. I would go for something like 3.8 atleast.

That's good to hear, that with the aftermarket cooler I'll be totally safe. So safe in fact that it's a little stupid not to shoot higher. I'd go up to 3.5, but I want my CPU to be cool and safe by pretty strict standards. I plan on getting an NZXT Tempest for my case, so case airflow should be optimal as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom