PC for parents. $400-$500?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is completely off topic; What would be the best upgrade I could invest in, gaming wise, from my current PC (in my sig).
A new mobo or gfx card? I'm looking for a fps boost...

This is completely off topic; What would be the best upgrade I could invest in, gaming wise, from my current PC (in my sig).
A new mobo or gfx card? I'm looking for a fps boost...

A new graphics card would give you the largest performance increase.

Would it be noticeable enough to upgrade from my 9600gt to maybe a 9800gt? Or what about the 9800 GX2?
Or should I just wait until the GTX 280 drops in price a bit and go for that...

I could buy a newer card and give my 9600gt to my parents for their pc since they only do simple things like photo and video editing...

The 9800gt would be an improvement but probably not worth what it would cost. I would at least upgrade to a HD4850.

I wouldn't get a 9800gx2, the HD 4870 or GTX 260 Core 216 are both better cards.

the 9600gt will be more than enough (;

Thanks. :)

Another question regarding my original topic. I'm buying the 4gb of RAM for my parent's PC, should I buy Vista 64 or 32?
I have 64-bit on my PC and I've had some small issues with a program or game here and there that don't support my 64-bit OS.
My question is: Will Vista Home Prem 32-bit recognize AND utilize 4gb's of RAM effectively?

No it will recognise the 4gb but it will use and display 3gb ram due to 1gb being reserved for addon cards. You need 64bit and what are the issues??? We can probably help I have heard that there are now no flaws to Vista 64bit although xp-64 is still ripe with companies not supporting it

Seriously? Has he found a wireless adapter that runs on Vista64 yet?

As for me, I usually find ways around the non-compatibility issues. I know a lot of people complain about Vista, but I actually like it a lot. It's not nearly as bad as people make it sound.Thanks for the offer of help, Salty. Next time I have a problem and can't sort it out I'll drop by here. :nerd:

Vista 64 is a completely different bag of apples its windows xp (64 bit) that has driver issues as Vista uses a different core architecture to xp driver and program installs are not always the same hence why when you get a download link it says works on 2000/xp then further down has a vista link.

Not many people complain about vista imo its a great OS however when it first came out it was fraught with bugs. Vista is about to be superceeded by Window 7 sometime next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom