Help! I wrecked my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

happyman88

Solid State Member
I was defragmenting and removing invalid enteried in my registry using some programs I downloaded of the internet. But when I restsred my PC I got a message saying that a system file was missing and that i needed to use the original manufacturers emergency CD, so i did I tried to fix the problem but I couldnt so I dicided to reinstall windows from the cd. It told me that it would be best to delete all the partions on drive C. I wasent sure what that meant I deleted all the partions. Deleting all the partions was extremly quick and took less than a second. Deleting the partions made the problem even worse and i was told that I would have to format my computer...i don't want to lose all my data and i want to reinstall windows can anyone help me plz thx

you're in deep shit..

the files of the deleted partitions are probably gone.

first you need to install windows using the XP cd. (need to format the unallocated space wich you created by deleting the partitions)
formatting can be done during setup.

then try EasyRecovery (or some other file-recovery-program) to restore some files, but it won't restore everything and lots of restored files will be damaged

I would wait for some other advice before doing this because I don't know: maybe there is another way to restore those files

Maybe a Data Recovery job at a compuer shop or something? One where I live charges $15 minimum, $80 if they recover something.

Always make sure the programs you get from the Net are valid and don't contain spyware and viruses. Use AV and Ad-Aware. Once a partition is deleted, it's all gone. Always back up your data.

well, the data is TECHNICALLY there, just the data table pointer is gone. Basically, you have all your data, then a table that tells the o/s where the data is located. when thats removed (by removing the partition), the data loses its pointer and its a jumbled mess. think about it like this. Imagine a book, the chapters in the story are NOT named, but the table of contents names each chapter. I tell you to turn to the chapter titled such and such. Well, look at the table of contents. It says its chapter 842 (dealing with files, now so BIG numbers). Cool! You turn there by reference of the page number. Okay, now. Rip out the table of contents. I tell you to goto a chapter called such and such. Good luck finding it now. You'll have to pay to have a data recovery done, now.

jorsoft03 said:
Maybe a Data Recovery job at a compuer shop or something? One where I live charges $15 minimum, $80 if they recover something.

$15 to $80 is reasonable

Accumet8000 said:
What percentage of data is likley to be recovered? Thx

Data recovery consists of how important is that data to you. the more time spent the more data-more money.
No pain no Gain.

Good Luck!

also:

succes depends on the number of times the clusters where data was stored have been used since they where romoved from the file-table(table of contents, see killians45 post) or have been formatted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom