Unsure about CPU Compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheechwood

Solid State Member
Ok, so I have a DFI LANPartry:The Best OC Platform! Overclock, Motherboard, Intel, AMD and I'm a little confused. I updated my bios to the latest available as far as I know and I now need to upgrade my CPU. The only problem is I would like to spend around $100.00 for a new one but I don't know which ones are compatible.

The site says that the compatibility is as follows:
# AMD® Athlon 64 X2 / Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64 / Sempron
# 939 chipset

but...

And this is what confuses me; it gives the usual list of what processors it can use but not all of the athlon 64 X2's are on there. (now for the actual question) IS THIS LIST JUST INCOMPLETE DUE TO THEM NOT KEEPING UP OR... DOES THIS MOBO HAVE LIMITED COMPUTABILITY WITH THE 64 X2 LINE?

Thanks ahead of time guys.

P.S. Am I even in the right direction for the best bang for the buck (assuming I don't want to upgrade the mobo)

The x2 came in two different sockets the 939 which are hard to find these days and the am2 which will not work in your board. I tried to find an x2 to work with my 939 board but they were expensive. At this point it would be better to save your cash for a new mb, proc and ram.

Hopefully someone else can confirm that. And if that is so... Maybe this can switch to a different gear.

I'm going to give a short description with the hopes of you guys maybe helping me pick out a decent mobo that will work well with some of the other stuff I have.

Stuff to keep in mind:
-I game as well as multitask (photoshop lightroom + Photoshop Cs4)
-I'd like to keep as much of my current equipment as possible

Thanks ahead of time and here we go.

Harddrives:
- Western Digital 74g 10000rpm
- Western Digital 640g

Display Devices:
- eVGA Nvidia GeForce 7800 GT

Memory:
OCZ Platinum 4GB (4 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel

Soundcard:
ASUS Xonar DX Audio Device

Current processor doesn't matter because I want to get a new one.

(edit: Got rid of the dxdiag data dump... More than was needed.)

RAM has to go you will have to have ddr2 or ddr3 with any new board. The manchester and toleto cores were a 939 socket the windor and brisbane cores were am2. What is your budget? Your data dump is a bit more than we need.

Either I7 if your budget is sufficient or a Q9300 or Q9550 build with a p45 chipset and 4gb of g-skill pi black ram.

What psu do you have?

Its unlikely that anyone is going to actually read that dxdiag report its just to long I just scrolled through to the bits with actual components but you had already said them at the start of your post. I have a diamond back aswell :)

I have a 550w psu. I suspect I may have to upgrade but I don't overclock so I may not. I'm not looking for screaming fast. I just want enough to have a few apps open as well as a few browser windows. I'm a bit of an amature photographer and I deal exclusivly in digital so I'm trying to upgrade around that concept. I game a little also too as I said before. Half Life 2, Fallout 3, Left4Dead

Well, I want enough to be able to multitask with as little hang up as possible but I don't want to go bankrupt either. I'd say the budget for new mobo, ram and pcu is about $300.00-$500.00. I know as far as hardware goes, the general rule still stands; "You get what you pay for" So, I'm gona try and spend some money now as to not have to shell out more later.

Oh and I would like to stay AMD because at the end of the day... My comp really is for gaming.

I am in the same boat as you. It makes no monetary sence to upgrade my 939 mb so it is closing in on time for a new setup. I would love to stay with amd as well but the fact is these days they cannot touch the performance of the intel chips at the moment. Perhaps when the phenom 2 come out they may have a chance. I will let other put a build together for you for they are much more knowledgeable than I am at the time. just do a bit of research and you will see the current superiority of the intel chips. Have an open mind and do not get angry at all of the intel builds that are recommended.

Well, above all, I'm looking for the best performance:Money ratio and I guess if I can't find that in an AMD chip then oh well. I've been out of the hardware scene to long.

Only about 3 years I would guess its only been since intel brought out the C2D that they have been whooping AMD and even then at first AMD were cheap enough to still be viable not there only viable on an extreme budget like $100 for mobo and cpu.

You still haven't said budget?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom