Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-Rocks

In Runtime
Hey Everyone,
I currently still building my rig. I have a question. I have two ram chips already installed with equals 4gigs and Ill be running Vista. Would you think its wise to put 2 more ram chips in since I have 2 slots still open. That would equal 4 Chips 2Gigs each = 8 gigs of ram or will that be a waste of money?

do you plan on running vista 64bit? If not then you would not want to because the 32bit version can only use 3.25gb of ram.

I bought Windows Vista Ultimate w/ SP1. It shows in the left hand corner of the bow 34-and 64-bit. How do I know which one it is? Can I use either or ?

What are going to be the main uses of your p.c.,and are you going to run any other o.s..Also what type of video card or cards are you going to install into your system or are you running integrated graphics?

8gbs of ram is pointless unless you're running a 64bit Os (which can utiliZe more than 3.25gbs ram) and you're doing heavy cad and video work.

I hate the misconception that 32 bit can only use 3.25GB RAM. Untrue. The amount that is physically available depends entirely on what hardware you run.

I believe retail Vista has both 32bit and 64bit.

8GB is entirely pointless for most people. If you do a lot of HD rendering or stuff like AutoCAD or 3D work then it might be of benefit. But if you're just a normal gamer and whatnot then you'll be fine with 4GB.

please expand on your post, crazeD. not many people are aware of this and take it as a given that 3.5gb is all they will see.

Coding Horror: Dude, Where's My 4 Gigabytes of RAM?

Here is a good read that should explain it better than I can.

EDIT: Although I don't agree with his last assessment that you shouldn't buy 4GB, because you can (usually) use more than 3GB, and the rest usually isn't needed anyway...and we all know that 2x2GB is > 2x1GB+2x512mb

Well Vista can see 4GBs of RAM, how much of it it uses I don't know..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom