I'm back and need your help on a new rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I kinda want to stick with AMD to go cheap, but that intel setup seems tempting especially with the OC capabilities. Well I hate to switch up on you guys but I decided to change this into a media center/gaming build. I just want it to be a cheap decent media center computer. I want to plug a nice HD monitor into it and maybe a blu ray player. Also maybe my xbox 360. Because in my dorm I don't have a tv, but i still want something to watch movies. on. Thanks guys. I'll probably for sure be looking into micro ATX now.

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 Wolfdale 2.66GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - ASUS EAH4850 TOP/HTDI/512M Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
$414.96
You can buy media centre style cases in ATX form the Micro-atx ones tend to not accomodate large graphics cards which you will need to game

On the monitor front what size are we talking about? TVs have lower resolutions then computer monitors even "HD1080p" ones so unless you want something larger the 24" which I doubt as they are pretty large computer monitor would be the way forwards

So despite everything I went with AMD and i got the board that Nagasama recommended. My cousin works at Micro Center so I went there and was able to use his employee discount to save like $30 to $40 on everything. It even beat newegg's prices lol. I ended up getting:
-Amd x2 5200
-Asus M3A78-EM AM2+ mobo
-2x1gb buffalo ddr2 800
-Hitachi 250gb Sata
-Antec Minuet slimpc Case w/ Antec 350w PSU

I'm going to get a blu ray drive which also burns DVDs from newegg, but for the videocard I noticed that I had to use a low profile one due to the case. This is the best low profile videocard I could find, do you guys think its decent for the price?

Newegg.com - Galaxy 96GFF6VIFCXX GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 SLI Supported Low Profile Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

For a low profile card a 9600 GT is PLENTY powerful. It should be able to handle games very well. But you'd have to lower your resolution down to 14400x900 or so.

i think that rig will serve you well. the mobo will not disappoint. i have oc'd it almost to the point of my 590sli (a monster), and i havent tweaked it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom