1680 x 1050 - Xfire or SLI worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikepsyche

In Runtime
Is it worth it to go SLI or Crossfire at this resolution? Would I see enough of a performance increase to merit spending that much more? From what I've seen, at 1680 x 1050, one HD 4870 1GB will let me max out pretty much any game with decent fps except for Crysis...

Pretty sure if I want multiple GPUs, GTX C216 would be better than the 4870. I just really don't want to pay for multiple GPUs; people say you really don't need it under 1900 x 1200.

I'm sure you will be happy with a single 4870 or gtx260. But if down the line you aren't you can always put another card in. Tech prices are constantly dropping so you'll end up saving money. Or if you decide you want to go with a completely new card later, you won't feel as bad scraping a single card.

At that res you're better off just getting a 4870 1gb or a Core 216. Then if you plan to play on a res of 1920 x 1200 or larger then just get another card and do SLI or Crossfire. Actually either of those cards I mentioned will still be able to max games out at 1920 x 1200, besides crysis.

Great, that's just what I wanted to hear. I hope to be satisfied with 1680 x 1050 for some time. Plus, I could go with a 20 inch instead of a 22 inch? The pixel density would be higher, so theoretically everything should look a bit better, right (it's only two inches, I think it'll be just as "fun" to look at)?

Usually higher res' look better than lower ones, but some just feel lower res look better than bigger ones because they convince themselves that the higher FPS matters more than the overall look (its quite subjective tbh)

I would go for 22". The difference actually is quite noticeable :)

And a single 4870 1gb would be perfect...or even 512mb. I am using a 4870 512mb on a 22" monitor and it handles everything wonderfully.

I would go for 22". The difference actually is quite noticeable :)

And a single 4870 1gb would be perfect...or even 512mb. I am using a 4870 512mb on a 22" monitor and it handles everything wonderfully.

24"!! Only 24" and up has a significant jump in vertical resolution.

There really isnt much reason to go for dual cards at 1680x1050...

In my opinion dual cards should be only really used when the best single card option is not enough (eg, xfire 4830s seems pointless), however, there are some arguements regarding price.

Considering a 4870 or gtx260 would do you fine i dont think there is any reason to have the added heat and complications of a dual card setup.

Great, thanks guys. Maybe I will go for the 22" asus. I might be posting the final (hopefully) version of my build soon, love for your guys' input on that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom