Afordable Gaming Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your saying i can go to 4.0ghz without water cooling?
I know how far the e8400 can OC to but with my cooling how far will it be able to OC on stable?

Possibly but I can't tell you for sure. You may go a little higher or much lower. I'm just saying that I've seen other people claim ~4.0ghz with good air coolers. But I don't know exactly how good your cooler is and I don't know how good your chip will be. Every chip's OC ability varies (sometimes greatly).

So your saying that even if two people buy the same CPU the chipset one will always be different?

No every CPU, even if it is the same model, is different and has different overclocking capabilities.

Well thats stupid, if you buy a CPU and then someone bought the same but could OC it more...:confused:

Yes that is just the laws of science. It is not possible to make two of the EXACT same thing. All chips of the same model usually perform roughly the same but never exactly the same. It's not stupid, its just the way it is. It's not like there's a chance you will get significantly less performance out of your chip than another one.

Honestly, you probably won't even be able to tell the difference between 3GHz and 4. The differences are mostly visible in benchmarks. You may get a few extra fps here and there but its not like you're going to get a good 15 fps jump by OC'ing to 4GHz.

Its not necessary but its fun and there is a performance boost, you will notice it if you run 3D Mark 06 or Vantage. I'm not recommending that you don't do it. It is free performance after all. I'm just trying to get you to understand what exactly its doing.

Okay guys, thanks for everything. I'm buying my new system tomorrow :happy:

My E8400 went to 4.1Ghz without touching the voltages, just raising the FSB. I really love it as a CPU.

Thats probably not common and I bet you got a great cpu.
Kind of like my old amdx2. I think I might of been able to set a record with that thing since I had it at 40% overclock with slightly less than stock voltage. Alas the motherboard couldn't handle any higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom