Slave drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circa219

In Runtime
Hey guys.
I like to consider myself pretty computer-savy but no matter how hard I try I can't seam to figure out what a slave drive is. Can any of you guys give me a definition?

You know how you have your main hard drive that has your OS on it, on the IDE cable? Aright, well it's usually got a connector in the middle....that's where you connect the slave drive. You use it for backup and storage and such. You gotta look on your HD to see what the jumper settings and set the one with the OS on it to MASTER W/ SLAVE and put that end of the IDE cable to that goes to your motherboard. You look at the drive you want as storage and put its jumpers to SLAVE and put it on the middle connector. You should be all set. If it doesn't recognize them, then you could try the CABLE SELECT option on both of them, or one of them, mixing and matching to see whatever option gets it to boot up. Both of mine are set to CABLE SELECT and the one you want as master like I said goes on the very end of the cable and the slave goes in the middle. Thats it! Then within windows you can use Partigion magic or something of that sort and create a partition on it. It'll be a logical partition so it just holds data, and your HD with the OS will be the Primary. Good luck

Most motherboards have 2 IDE connector, both have a cable with 3 connections, each cable has 1 that connects to yer mobo, 1 for a master, 1 for a slave

slave and master are excactly the same. (as far as I know)

slave and master can be set using small jumpers on your HD's

you cannot use 2 masters or 2 slaves on one IDE channel(cable)

SATA does not use master or slave settings

Good thing I'm getting a couple of SATA's because i'm still a little bamboozled! Thanks anyways guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom