Cheap gaming PC upgrade got a few ?s

Status
Not open for further replies.

CmdrChris

Beta member
Hey Tech Forums(and Trotter if you see this)

I have a 4000+, 2GB DDR2 and a X1950XTX. I have been debating going with a top of the line I7 but a huge unexpected car insurance bill has stopped that yesterday. So now Im looking at an ultra cheap upgrade because this PC is on its last leg. Parts Im looking at now are

6000+ X2 $76
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
4GB DDR2 $40
Newegg.com - A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
AM2+ mobo $73
Newegg.com - ASUS M3A78-CM AM2+/AM2 AMD 780V Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
4850 $160
Newegg.com - ASUS EAH4850 TOP/HTDI/512M Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Total 349. I will reuse my current PSU(600W), case, HDD and DVD to save some money. So will these parts work well together? Also I have no clue what to look for in a mobo but I would like an AM2+ that could be upgraded to the PII quad down the road. With DDR2 being so cheap is there any reason to go with 8GB over the 4GB? Will be using Vista 64 bit. So Im open to suggestions from you guys with much more knowledge on parts but I would like to keep it under 400 or so. Thanks for any help you guys might be able to offer.

EDIT: OCing, CF, SLI is not a big deal as I doubt I would do any of them.

Good to see you, Chris. Well to our little corner of the interwebz. ;)

What is your current mobo? Would it worth the upgrade? And any reason for mATX as opposed to ATX?

While I am an AMD guy, too, you might do well going Intel C2D (and eventually C2Q).

I sent you a PM about a video card.

Current mobo is a 939. Even on ebay 939s are way to much money(and I think this current system is about to bite the dust anyway). Good catch on the mobo I want a ATX not micro. As for the C2D that would be my first choice right now but a E8400 is a good $90 or more and I think the mobo is a bit more also. I was all set for the I7 thinking I had paid my insurance bill but that was for the motorcycle so an unexpected $800 later and Im just trying to get by for a year or so(or until we get BF3).

Thanks for the PM Trotter. Once I figure out what Im going with I will let you know.

E5200 will murder that pc
mobo: is a challenge but you should be able to get a p45 (with kind rebates) or a P43
No reason to go over 4gb unless your using it for business pc and are into media editing or 3d modelling

Thanks Saltynay. I had not looked into intel much thinking they were too much money but I liked the sound of murdering the comp I was thinking about.

Found this combo P45/E7300.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

225 add the 40 for the ram and 160 for a card and Im a little over my $400.

or this combo for 35 less. P45/E7300 but not very good reviews on this board.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

If anyone has time to let me know what you think on going this way its much appreciated. And would the cheap ram I listed in the first post work well with this combo? Thanks again for any help guys. Hope to be ordering soon.

I went through each of ^^^ the above items confident I could find something to knock off that 4.95 and I really couldn't.

All the hardware that's cheaper just isn't nearly as good.
You could get slightly cheaper RAM but you're only going to save a buck or two and GSkill is a great brand.

Other than that you could drop back a generation on the video card but as Trotter pointed out, that 4830 will scream, especially for the price (which is re**** low for a card of that caliber).

I did some digging to find those.

Too bad Chris can't use BSt... some killer deals going on down there right now.

I went through each of ^^^ the above items confident I could find something to knock off that 4.95 and I really couldn't.

All the hardware that's cheaper just isn't nearly as good.
You could get slightly cheaper RAM but you're only going to save a buck or two and GSkill is a great brand.

Other than that you could drop back a generation on the video card but as Trotter pointed out, that 4830 will scream, especially for the price (which is re**** low for a card of that caliber).

Trotter is like the highest supermod of TFs would you expect anything less then the absolute best advice from him? I guess its a bit of a burden to give A-class advice never having slip-ups but thats why he's one of the best.

The only alternative I can see is this Newegg.com - ASUS EAH4850 TOP/HTDI/512M Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards for an extra 10bucks you get the full fat version of the 4830 and free shipping I think its worth the tenner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom