Need help upgrading video on Gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldgtwayman

Beta member
I have a Gateway GT 5220 that has an NVidia 6150 LE integrated graphics. I purchased an ASUS EAH 4350 512mb silent PCI-e card to upgrade. I deactivated the onboard graphics through windows, changed the video setting in bios to PCI-e first. I then installed the card, booted up, installed the newest Catalyst drivers (from the ATI site) and everything was great. After restarting the computer a couple of times, the video reverted back to the onboard graphics. I restored the system, repeated, followed all of the advice I could find and still having the same issue. Gateway tech support unfortunately was no help. I found others with this issue on the web but nothing I have read works. Anyone out there have a solution? Here is my set up:
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gateway
System Model: AWRDACPI
BIOS: )Phoenix - Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 2944MB RAM
Page File: 694MB used, 4134MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Any help would be appreciated as I really want to upgrade this video. Thanks.

So basically it seems like your bios is resetting to default periodically. Your cmos battery could be running low causing it to reset.

I hadn't thought about that. I have had the pc for about 2 years so I guess it could be almost dead. I'll try to replace and see if that helps. Thanks for the suggestion.

Bio is actually not resetting. Must be other issue. Called someone today who suggested that it may be a Windows XP Service pack 3 issue. Anyone out there familiar with this??:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom