General video card, PC building questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nahledge

Baseband Member
Hey everyone, thanks in advance for any help, information and opinions.

I am building a PC right now and I ordered a video card hastily because it was a really good deal but I think I want a better one.

The one I have now is an EVGA 1gb memory 128-bit nvidia GeForce 9500 GT

Would it be better to get a 512mb memory 256-bit card?

The game I am primarily playing will be World of Warcraft and I might start playing some other games because I will have a good system finally...Crysis, Fallout 3, Farcry 2 etc...

In a video card, what do the "bits" do? 128 compared to 256? and the memory?

Also this is what I am thinking of putting in my system so far:

Shuttle SX38P2-Pro Intel Socket T(LGA775) Intel X38 4 x 240Pin Barebone
4gb corsair xms memory
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

and then whatever video card i decide.

The barebone has a 450watt power supply.

Would a 3.0ghz dual core CPU be better than that quad core?

Any other suggestions appreciated, thanks again.

I think you would be better off posting you're budget for the machine you are trying to build and what you want it to be able to do. People around here are very good getting you the best bang for your buck.

Yes, definitely post your budget and we can probably get you a better computer than what you just listed

My budget is fairly flexible...around 800-1000 for the CPU, barebone, video card and vista....

cpu Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
mobo Newegg.com - MSI X58 Platinum LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
ram Newegg.com - G.SKILL 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
video card Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
case Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
psu Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE ST70F 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

thats a monster computer for 1000, that will handle any game at max settings besides crysis. the 4870 is a monster card and thats a good deal for $200. for another 40 you could consider the core 216 by nvidia which is about the same but will have better performance in crysis. Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1265-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards, but if you want to spend another 40 you could alos get the 4870 1gb, which is better at high resolutions than the 512mb 4870.

of course this being at the very top of ur budget, you ould always get a e8500 system with a p45 mobo, this would cost you alot less, under 800 easily, but imo its better to settle with a i7 system and have the latest socket.

What do you mean by barebone? I've never bought a barebone kit. Just get all the parts seperately. It will make a much better rig.

Here's what I put together:

Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1265-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 900(PC2 7200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English for System Builders 1pk DSP OEI DVD - Operating Systems

Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

comes to a total of $914.78 with tax.

That will absolutely destroy the stuff you had posted earlier.

Let us know if you have any more questions!

EDIT: AHH baron beat me to it with an i7 build! That one is much better if you can get it.

EDIT2: The antec 300 case is pretty lame in my opinion. Choose your own case, check with us first though to make sure its not a piece of ****.

my friend has the 300 and i thought it was good. very very good case for the price, in order to get a i7 build for about 1000 he needs a cheap case and the antec is not build like a cheap case thats why i rec. it I like the look of normal kinda cases anyway, the antec 300 will be fine as long as you have intake and outake fans, has top and back fans, you could add a front too if you wanted to. this case looks quite good aswell for a lian li case (best case makers)
Newegg.com - LIAN LI PC-7B plus II Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

btw for your question, the bit-rate is the bandwidth at which the card can access data from the cards memory. 1gb is useless on a 9500gt since they have ddr2 which is very slow and the card is not fast enough to use all the 1gb with 128 bit interface. so a 512mb 256-bit card would be better in theory depending on the type of memory it uses. gddr5 is what the 4870 uses along with a 256bit interface, thats why the card is so fast.

my friend has the 300 and i thought it was good. very very good case for the price, in order to get a i7 build for about 1000 he needs a cheap case and the antec is not build like a cheap case thats why i rec. it I like the look of normal kinda cases anyway, the antec 300 will be fine as long as you have intake and outake fans, has top and back fans, you could add a front too if you wanted to. this case looks quite good aswell for a lian li case (best case makers)
Newegg.com - LIAN LI PC-7B plus II Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

btw for your question, the bit-rate is the bandwidth at which the card can access data from the cards memory. 1gb is useless on a 9500gt since they have ddr2 which is very slow and the card is not fast enough to use all the 1gb with 128 bit interface. so a 512mb 256-bit card would be better in theory depending on the type of memory it uses. gddr5 is what the 4870 uses along with a 256bit interface, thats why the card is so fast.

Ya thats a good point baron, I was just never a fan of the Antec 300, 900, 1200. They are just too common and I am not a fan of the looks. I am a big Lian-Li fan though. I wish I had one. I'm getting annoyed with my TT Armor.

For the PSU, I'd get a 750TX, for all of that powaa!

That would be waay overkill and PC P&C is THE best psu maker around.

yeah the corsair psu's are also over 100 when your could get either the PC p&C or silverstone psu i rec. the silverstone would be great for crossfire too if you ever upgraded, its a great deal for psu with quad rails at >80% 18A. but i would go for the silencer, its got one 49A rail, awesome price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom