1GB Vs 2GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asterope

Beta member
Hi,

I am purchasing a new computer soon, but I have a question. I know from 512MB to 1GB of RAM is a huge difference, but how much more of a performance increase would I see with 2GB of RAM? Is it worth getting, or should I just go 1GB?

There are people who say to get as much RAM as you can reasonably afford...and it would definitely make your computer more future-ready. RAM is definitely the cheapest way of increasing your computers performance.

But give us some info for a more relevant and slightly more clear answer. Is your new computer going to be 32 or 64 bit? What OS(es) is this computer going to run? Are you putting this together yourself? Is this a desktop? What are you going to be using it for? etc.

I plan on getting an FX-53, so 64 bit. I plan on running Linux as well as Windows XP Professional. I am putting it together myself. Yes, this will be a desktop, and used for gaming and art purposes, such as 3DS Max, PhotoShop, as I do a lot of art on the computer.

With the kind of programs you are running i would say yes. 3ds max alone requires 512 ram just to stably run if i remember correctly, or maybe it was maya. Regardless, those are memory intensive software programs and I would say that if you have to run more than one at a time if you are doing a project or something that it would be beneficial if you can afford it to get the 2GB. Plus the FX-53 is a good choice if you are going to be doing a lot of rendering as well. Sounds like its going to be a nice computer. Good luck.

Yes, it is, a very good computer. Here are the full specifications if you are wondering.

Lian-Li Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Case, Model "PC-V2000B"
Antec 480 Watt 120mm Fan ATX 12V v2.0 Power Supply, Active PFC, Model "NeoPower"
AMD Athlon 64 FX-53, 1MB L2 Cache, 940-Pins, Windows Compatible 64-Bit Processor
ASUS "SK8V" K8T800 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 940 CPU
CORSAIR XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, (Twin Pack) 184 Pin 2GB(1GBx2) ECC Registered DDR PC-3200
Plextor 12X DVD+/-RW Drive
Lite-On 16X DVD-ROM
Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive(x2)
Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive(x2)
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro PCI Sound Card
ViewSonic P225FB 22" Perfect Flat Monitor
BFG nVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra Video Card, 256MB GDDR3, 256-Bit, TV-Out/Dual DVI, 8X AGP

DAMN THAT IS ONE FINEASS SYSTEM

hey man since money grows in ur backyard can u buy me an Alienware aurora extreme? Plz plz:D ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom