My options for silient cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can go silent cooling, it just requires a very large radiator with watercooling :)

Thats not quite true pump noise ;), you can use peltier (who would want to more hassle then its worth) and gravitational pull with convective currents to keep it going round without a pump (theoretically possible never heard of it being done) or submerging your equiptment in mineral oil probably prevents noise with the accomapanying heatsinked everything

Thats not quite true pump noise ;), you can use peltier (who would want to more hassle then its worth) and gravitational pull with convective currents to keep it going round without a pump (theoretically possible never heard of it being done) or submerging your equiptment in mineral oil probably prevents noise with the accomapanying heatsinked everything

Peltier would need huge radiators and fans to dissipate the enormous amount of heat they put out.

The head of marketing at OCZ uses convective water cooling without a pump.

Mineral oil needs to be actively cooled or else it will quickly become inundated with heat and won't be able to keep anything cool.

Honestly with only 100 dollars for this, what I would do is get all new fans throught the computer and get a fan controller for the front of your case. When your gaming you can simply turn the fans up to keep the air flowing and keeping everything cool. When your at idle and just surfing the net, simply turn em down and the noise is toned down a lot. Look for fans in the 60cfm range.

I wouldn't have a $100 budget I would of planned from the beginning but the main priorities should be;

Gpu
Cpu
general case fans
psu fan
hdds <--- for the excessive silencer (imo)
Optical drives<--- intermittentally used and can be modded quite easily to dampen noise

I realise peltiers are not effective hence why I said "more hassle then its worth". I didn't know about the convective water pump that is a good idea, does it use the very small difference between the rad and the cpu loop or is there an external cool source to add to the convective loop. I would like to say I came up with the idea idependently on the convection loop and if OCZ would like to pay me a million dollars I would be very happy. I realise mineral oil needs to be cooled I wasn't going into detail as I highly doubt that is a realistic method for a home user on $100 budget.

Actually my pumps are pretty much silent with the case all buttoned up.

Ok I trust your opinion my aquarium pumps are noisy buggers so I expected watercooling to be on similar principles... What case do you have? I am guessing it has to be a lian li or silverston all aluminium number if not your letting the side down

Ok I trust your opinion my aquarium pumps are noisy buggers so I expected watercooling to be on similar principles... What case do you have? I am guessing it has to be a lian li or silverston all aluminium number if not your letting the side down

He runs a mountain mods ufo If I remember correctly.

Basically a large cube case.

My pump is basically silent and my rig makes a bit of noise from the 9 120mm case fans inside it. But it's quiet enough that I can easily sleep with it on.

Its in my sig ya weiner. Its a ufo 18x18x18 cube. Brushed aluminum. Watercooling pumps are way different than the humming aquarium pumps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom