Trouble with older Sony using new video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

CeeJay

Beta member
Hello all - request for help with installing a new video card on an older sony vaio. Sorry if this will be a long post, but trying to provide all potentially relevant information.

The problem: I have installed the video card and its drivers, etcetera on my computer, but the PC continues to use the "onboard" integrated video instead of the video card. Manufacturer says to use system bios to turn off integrated video - not an option (that I can find, at least) on the VAIO.

Specs: Sony VAIO PCV-RS410, running XP home, 2.66 mhz P4 processor, 2 Gig Ram. Intel 4 integrated onboard video (ie no separate card on original build)
PNY NIVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, PCI bus, 512 mb ddr2.

The Process:
->I installed the new Video Card with no problems - fit into the PCI slot, seated and screwed in. Attached the monitor to the new monitor in on the video card.
->Per manual, dismissed the "autoinstall" XP screen, inserted the CD from the manufacturer, installed drivers. (During this step, I had the fat icons and poor video quality characteristic of 'safe mode' - guess that's normal).
->Was told to reboot and did so - grey screen. Computer was running, but no video.
->Unplugged the monitor from the video card, plugged it back into the original monitor out, video works fine - but it's the original quality, not the new video card quality.

Troubleshooting steps
->Double checked drivers - all installed.
->Using "hardware manager-device manager-display adapters" I see both the integrated adapter (Intel 82845G... graphics controller) AND the NVIDIA GeForce8400 GS.

It appears to me that my onboard graphics card is still controlling the graphics - but I'm not sure how to disable it and ensure that the new card will take over. I could just disable the integrated adapter, but then if the new card still won't work I'm in a bad way.

Any help will be much appreciated.

THanks,
Ceejay

Thanks, Mak.

One question before I do this -- my concern is that removing the driver (and, by extension, the onboard graphics device) will render my computer inoperable if there is any problem with the new card. From past experience with this SONY, I always imagine the worst case scenario.

Is there a way to use the monitor if removing/disabling the onboard graphics and reinstalling the nvidia drivers fails?

Thanks for your thoughts.

The onboard graphics will still work just with crappy resolution and only 16 colors. It will look just like when you do a fresh install of windows before you get the graphics driver loaded. You will need to go into bios and switch it from onboard graphics to pci graphics. poke around in your bios and you should find it.

Thank you hefe - that allays my greatest fear.

About BIOS - I read elsewhere on the 'net that SONY desktops don't allow you to make these changes in BIOS. Is that true? I definitely can't find them. The only thing that looks even remotely like an adapter is the 1394, and I thought that was for sound.

I will try the uninstall through device manager with drive cleaner and try a reinstall.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom