New here, looking for build opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Upgrade is upgrading from the xp/ 2000 core to the vista/windows 7 core so there are core differences between the two rather then a couple of file name changes.... Its also a tad annoying that they only offer "upgrades" rather then OEM or retail disks at a reduced price

Server08 then configure it to have the vista gui (graphical user interface) not tempt you then its the way I am going me thunks.

I didn't realise it was 32bit limited how anal

It looks like server 2008 is about $600. I'm digging around, and finding that it may be possible to "de-tune" vista to make it perform more like 08.

Just asked another guru (credit to mak for being so rapid at responding you sexy manbeast lol) this is where you get it from:
https://www.dreamspark.com/default.aspx

Here are guides to configuring it
The Way I See It : Using Windows Server 2008 as a SUPER workstation OS
The Way I See It : Using Windows Server 2008 as a SUPER workstation OS ... Cont'd

Some games (only a few from what I have heard) have issues though as it is not suppose to be used as a desktop OS but hey its free can't complain.....

Just asked another guru (credit to mak for being so rapid at responding you sexy manbeast lol) this is where you get it from:
https://www.dreamspark.com/default.aspx

Here are guides to configuring it
The Way I See It : Using Windows Server 2008 as a SUPER workstation OS
The Way I See It : Using Windows Server 2008 as a SUPER workstation OS ... Cont'd

Some games (only a few from what I have heard) have issues though as it is not suppose to be used as a desktop OS but hey its free can't complain.....

:eek::eek::eek:

Game, set, match.... Got my key and have started the D/L.... You and mak rock! ! !

I had to rebuild my current p4 3ghz, 2gig ram, hd2400 PRO with server 2008. It's remarkable. I can set COD4 to 1440x900, with default medium/min details, and play pretty well. It stuttered a few times with lots of action, but with XP Pro, I couldn't even watch the between-sceen videos. The audio/video was WAYYYY choppy, playing the game with those settings in XP was impossible.

Fresh installs of windows are always faster because there is no bloat in the temporary caches, with religious software maintenance you can keep the performance up but personally I am not too bothered I reinstall windows every 6-12 months

You'll need a minimum of 64 megabytes of memory to adequately run most programs. Most computer systems come with preloaded software. Be sure to check the inventory of what's on the computer, so you'll know what you're getting.If your a gamer then go with this motherboard and cpu.

I ended up selling $250 worth of old computer junk on ebay, and got some cash for the holidays, so I ordered:

e8400

Biostar I45

ASUS HD4850

OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W

Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

50' HDMI and 50' coax SPDIF (figured I'd have to use this for watching HD movies/possibly gaming???!!! on the CRT RPTV)

This will all be stuffed into the Raidmax Smilodon case, and go with the OCZ 4GB DDR2 1066 memory I bought last month. Thanks for your insight -- I didn't go anywhere close to my original $300 plan, but I did learn a good bit from everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom